Impalas.net banner

66' Strato Bucket Seat Width

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
Can someone give me the physical dimensions of an upholstered 66' Strato Bucket seat? I talking about the seat bottom, not the back. Width (side-side) and depth (front-back) dimensions would be great. Do the seat dimensions vary from year to year (66-69)? I'm a big guy and I want to know if I fit onto the seat. I know a bench seat is an option. The car would have to come with tilt steering no matter what. I tried to get into a 67 impala hardtop with a stationary steering wheel, bench seat last weekend. No clearance between wheel and front of seat. I couldn't even get into the car.

Thanks,

Rick

#2 ·
Welcome to the Team Rick!

Problem I discovered it wasn't my big butt not fitting the seat but my body mass flatening out the seat under acceleration. I replaced the front seat three times in my Impala, twice in my Suburban and about six times in my old Nova.

They bend so far back that it is like sitting on top of a bucket (five gallon pail) as opposed to sitting in a Bucket Seat. I'm six foot six and weight over 370 pounds. In the Nova I had to go to a stainless steel NASCAR seat held in place with the roll cage and a fixed (welded solid) set of metal tubes to form a frame. That fixed the seat bending but the ride suffered like you wouldn't believe.

Best Butt Bucket I ever wore was in a 1991 Mercedes-Benz C350 that I owned for about six years. Never bent, leather seat that had lots of padding lower back support and side bolsters to keep you in place. Only problem was it was BLACK leather that hit 170 degrees when parked in the sun.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.