Dash pad metal painted? - Impala Tech
Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Dash pad metal painted?

I have a 64 and its missing the dash pad. I found a metal core is it possible to get it worked and painted to match the car then mounted back on? I dont really want the vinyl but dont want to spend a crazy amount to fill holes and paint dash. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:54 AM

Possible, Yes! I've never seen a dash pad stripped to its metal frame to know how it would look though.

Just wondering if you could wrap the dash pad in something else other than vinyl.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 11:01 AM

It received over spray from when the car body was painted because there was no windshield installed at the time (thin and incomplete if you are looking for a chalk mark restoration). So it has some paint on it but not enough to resist rusting.

Factory didn't waste money on paint if you couldn't see it. Bottom of foot wells and the bottom of the car are not painted either (other than over spray). They were not concerned with your car rusting out other than to encourage it; as it had to last seven years and not a day longer by law. Sooner it was off the road the sooner your friendly salesman could sell you a new one.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 03:13 PM

Garage
I actually prefer the painted (not padded) dash. The lines of the dash are not interrupted by the pad. I suppose I might change my mind if I was in an accident ;D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4908.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	23480  

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 04:16 PM

After padded dash became standard (as opposed to optional ) the metal under the dash pad was honey combed with rectangular holes so that the dash would absorb the energy of a person not wearing seat belts (they are SO0ooo uncomfortable!) hitting the dash. So depending upon the year ((1966 and older) the dash was solid under the pad, after that not suitable for viewing.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 04:58 PM

Garage
I can remember going through the Pick Your Part type junkyards back in the 80's, looking for parts for my 64. I can recall more than a few with windshields that had a smash on the passenger side and some odd bits of hair embedded in the cracked glass of the smash.

One thing my 64 taught me, was to always wear my seat belt. Even though they were just lap belts, I kinda had to, or taking a left turn too fast would push me over into the passenger side of the bench seat

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Those that think they are uncomfortable to sit upon have never been ejected from a car or had the steering column spear their heart like the spear of Triam (witnessed this myself with a head on between a 1965 Corvette and a then new Chrysler New Yorker (this was in 1967 that I saw it).

Guy in the 'vette was hanging off his steering column with the center in his chest. Knew he was dead because there was no blood flowing despite the wound in his chest. The 'vette exploded into a shower of bits of fiberglass destroying the body completely up to the back of the door, with just the frame and power train left forward of the seats remaining of the car. Firewall; even the dash was gone (battery rolled about two hundred feet down the road).

I was lucky in that I learned to fly before i learned to drive. You don't go any where in a plane without being buckled in place.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page