Ignition switch - Impala Tech
Site News Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Ignition switch

Today I went to replace my ignition lock cylinder. I drilled out the old one but the new lock cylinder I bought wouldn't fit in the ignition switch. I could still use a screw driver to turn the car over. As I was driving the car lost power and I could not get it to turn back over. I was just wondering if this could be a problem with the ignition switch itself causing the car to die and not start back up. The car was running and driving fine before the ignition switch modification.

Also as it was being towed home it had been put in reverse instead of neutral. It caught twice before we realized what had happen. There was a strong smell of gas. We went less than half a mile at low speeds. Any ideas at the damage that could have been caused by this and anything in particular to look for? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Switch

On a 66, in order to pull the ignition switch lock, you place your key in the switch, then a paper clip in the hole next to it and turn the cylinder and the lock pull out, same to repalce it. I'm not sure if any damage occured drilling out the cylinder, but if not you install in the same manner.
As far as any damage due to it being in neutral, should not prevent the car from starting.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page