Fuel pump help - Impala Tech
Site News Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pump help

327 im changing the fuel pump and the push rod is not cooperating. Will not move up at all so i can install the pump. Tried cranking the engine with bumps and i get nothing and for some reason the bolt on the crank pulley is missing just found that out. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:12 AM

Need to check the presence of a 9/16 hex head bolt (3/8-16 by 5/8th inch long) in the top motor mount hole on the front of the block. It has to be removed and a longer one threaded into the hole to hold the push pump rod as you install the rod into the block. If the one in there now is too long it won't allow the push rod for the fuel pump to move. It has to have the short bolt to seal the hole to prevent an oil leak.

As afar as the bolt in the crank goes no base engine had a drilled crank snout; only the steel forged crank high performance engines got the retaining bolt. It is an indication of a forged crank on older engines. Many machine shops will drill your cast crank with a bolt hole on a rebuild so it isn't totally fool proof.

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Fuel pump help

Thanks big dave i got the pump in but still isnt staying on. I put a few gallons of fuel in it the day i had the prob. It starts when i put fuel in the carb but once it burns that it shuts off and the filter has fuel in it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Unbolt the pump and move it out of the way if you can without disconnecting it. Then put the tip of your finger on the end of the push rod. Having a remote starter switch and the coil wire removed bump the motor over to see if you can feel the rod move. If not you have wiped the cam lobe off the cam. If it does move replace the pump with another one.

Big Dave
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks dave ill have to check that out tonight

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

If it is wiped off do i have to pull the engine?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Diaz View Post
If it is wiped off do i have to pull the engine?

No you can swap a cam while the engine is still installed. You just have to pull the radiator and sett aside the A/C condenser if you have one to get room to stab it in.

Big Dave
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Update got it going all is fine BUT... it shuts off here and there at stops when im not giving it gas. Not at every stop just every once in a while

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM
BA.

Hi Eduardo, I'm curious if this car/engine used to run or not, and what precipitated the changing of the pump? Your last symptom there sounds like some relatively simple carb-tuning...........but that would have pre-existed before any Fuel Pump replacement. (setting idle speed, A/F ratio mixture screws, float level, replacing filters, etc) What kind of carburetor is it? And did it used to run fine before the old fuel pump died?

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

It didnt run super excellent but it ran very good (if that makes sense). It wouldnt turn off but it did need some tuning not as much as right now though. And i changed the pump because it left me stranded but thanks to bigdave i got it pumping and running

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Almost seems like after a good 5 min of either driving or idling it shuts off

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 AM

Sounds like you are running out of gas. This could be due to a bad pump or a clogged fuel filter which is one of the problems with a mechanical pump; they suck. An electric pump that is mounted below the bottom of the gas tank is gravity fed gas that is hen pressurized and pushed forward.

That won't help with trash in the tank from clogging the filter, but it stops vapor lock on hot days and the gas picking up heat from the engine (which is way above the boiling point of gas most of the time). In the old days before they were outlawed we used to run the gas through a can filled with ice (but ice melts, and gets water on the track, so the cool can was outlawed for safety reasons).

Big Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Fuel pump help

Yea dave youre right i sat in it for a while letting it idle and shatter my dreams every 5 min. Then "i thought screw it im pulling the filter its easy and its just right there" so i blew in it and sure enough it was clogged. The reason i didnt go there first is cause the damn thing was so clean it looked brand new (owned the car for 2 months only) i cleaned it out let it idle then i drove it and drove it and drove it. And it didnt shut off. Thank for your help. I still need to tune the carb though but i dont have a tach

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:00 AM

I bought a cheap bosch tach at Advance Auto and took the 4 minutes to wire it up just for that purpose. I left the white wire (light) disconnected since i wasn't using it for daily driver purposes. Just tuning. If you don't want to do that, a timing light with a digital tach read out is another alternative. I do that for older VW's as there is no tach on them as well, and you need to get to 3500 RPM to set the timing right. 3500 by ear is tough.

But honestly the cheap tach at any auto parts store is a decent buy.

Good luck.

MB

'65 Impala SS
'71 Super Beetle
2011 Dodge 2500 6.7L Cummins
2013 GMC Acadia
2014 Corvette Stingray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page