1966 Imp Conv rear antenna location? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

1966 Imp Conv rear antenna location?

During the restoration process, we are going to close up the front antenna hole and install a read antenna into the Impala. This is a convertible SS 4 spd car. Can any of you guys tell me how to determine the correct factory placement for the rear antenna on my car? thanks. WB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM
BA.

I recall posting a picture with measurements a year or two ago.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks

I don't see any pictures or measurements - are they in here somewhere? thx. Wally

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 AM
BA.

Hey Walter, I can appreciate that you spent your hard-earned dollars on the Lifetime Membership,...so...

I clicked on "Search"> Advanced Search> put in 'antenna' and username 'BA.', and it gave me only 4 threads. The 3rd one was it. In it there is a link for http://www.impalas.net/forums/showth...hlight=antenna.
I sent my pics to the guy via email, but I had the very unofficial measurement as:
"basically it's 25" from the rear body-panel line where the quarter-panel would have the corner piece bolted on and it's 3" from the trunk edge. "

Michael9040 later posted his true measurement: "It is 8.25" out from the rear filler panel seam and 3.5" forward from the center of the trunk lid radius."

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Hey Walter, I can appreciate that you spent your hard-earned dollars on the Lifetime Membership,...so...

I clicked on "Search"> Advanced Search> put in 'antenna' and username 'BA.', and it gave me only 4 threads. The 3rd one was it. In it there is a link for http://www.impalas.net/forums/showth...hlight=antenna.
I sent my pics to the guy via email, but I had the very unofficial measurement as:
"basically it's 25" from the rear body-panel line where the quarter-panel would have the corner piece bolted on and it's 3" from the trunk edge. "

Michael9040 later posted his true measurement: "It is 8.25" out from the rear filler panel seam and 3.5" forward from the center of the trunk lid radius."

We are privileged to have Google go to all the bother of reading every post written on this board and having the posts indexed by every word written (excluding articles like "the" and "a"). When you use the search function that allows you to narrow your search with additional terms you are searching only for posts on this board.

I have made a few posts here and for those that read my posts you know I tend to be a bit verbose. Google finds all of the relevant terms, which means you may end up looking at a few thousand returns if you included my user name. I don't know if it would dredge up the tens of thousands of posts on Team Nova and Team Camaro or not (they told us it wouldn't).

I think the admins on the Team boards made me a moderator here in an attempt to reduce traffic on the Nova and Camaro board (where I was known as Larger Dave).

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Antenna

Walter,
Something like this, you don't want to take a chance with. You get one opportunity to drill the hole in the correct place. 2 choices, get a copy of the 1966 assembly manual and look up RPO U73 Rear manual antenna. Also look at RPO U75 Rear power antenna, the holes should be in the same place but you can verify that. Second, get a copy of the installation instructions for the rear antenna and they should also have the measurements.
If you can't find the assembly manual pages let me know and I'll post them later.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page