Cowl info for my 1968 Impala Supersport - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Cowl info for my 1968 Impala Supersport

I recently purchased a 1968 Impala SuperSport Convertable. I am trying to figure out how to decypher the Cowl tag and figure out what the original motor was for the car. The guy I bought it off of knows the current motor is not the original.
I have Cowl tag #'s of;
ST 68-16467 STL 000670
TR 836- Paint Gode G2

What other numbers are needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM

You are the proud owner of a 1968 two door convertible Impala V-8 (that is as close as you will ever get to identifying the motor from the info in the VIN or cowl tag). Odds are it was either a 283 or a 327 (you tell if it was a big block or a small block by the measuring the size of the frame stand bolted to the frame that the motor mount bolts onto; but better than 90% full size cars where small block equipped).

Since you have a 1968 see if there is still a cable wrapped around the cross-shaft that bolts the upper A-arms on the drivers side. If you do, you know it was a small block equipped car that was actually taken back to the dealer and modified to prevent the motor mount from breaking. (there was a galvanized square bracket that bolted to the exhasut manifold that held the other end of the cable).

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:28 PM

TR 836 is for the Gold Bucket seat Vinyl interior
G is Ivory gold exterior

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

There are two cables, one on each side. Long time ago I had a 68 Impala SupeSport that had a 396 big block and I remember at the time the motor was chained down.... I am assuming it was with the cables. So since this has one on each side it will not mean a big block???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdimpala View Post
There are two cables, one on each side. Long time ago I had a 68 Impala SupeSport that had a 396 big block and I remember at the time the motor was chained down.... I am assuming it was with the cables. So since this has one on each side it will not mean a big block???
In 1968 GM experienced the very first ever mandated federal safety recall of any product. Every Chevrolet made from 12958 to 1968 was recalled by the factory replace or fix a potential problem with the vulcanized rubber motor mounts separating. The factory fix was to install a five ton steel cable that bolted to the exhaust manifold and wrapped around the upper control arm (A-frame) cross-shaft to keep the motor from rolling over in case the mount failed. They are hard to find now a days as most cars never went into the dealer for the repair to be made, and of those that did, many more were not replaced when the motor was changed out as it wore out.

Big Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I do have a 396 block date coded in Novemeber of 67 that I am going to build an place in the car. I have found two sets of heads, one dated 1967 and the other 1968. Am going to try to keep it close to date correcxt at least.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Doesn't your '68 have the original engine size in the front side marker?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

the bezels are missing from both sides. The guy I bought the car from only knew the motor in it is not the original motor. He is not sure what the original motor size is either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page