any way to find out which V8 my 66 came with? - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
any way to find out which V8 my 66 came with?

I know all the drive train has been replaced (except maybe the driveshaft!) the differential was replaced before I bought it, the column shifted Powerglide was replaced with a floor shifted TH350, and the 'supposed to be a 350' is actually a 305. Is there any way to determine which engine it came with? I'm assuming probably a small block with the powerglide? I think I have the original fenders, which had all the trim holes iced over before a lackluster red paint job, so any help with fading preserving the numbers is probably gone. I can't see from the inside (yet) where the original emblems were, did all the size emblems have the same mounting? I don't know if gas line diameter will help, as it has about 4 feet of rubber at both ends, and the fuel pump is after market with a barb on the inlet instead of being tapped for a fitting. Exhaust is a home made single setup. Any ideas?

Craig

66 Impala (in progress)
56 stepside shortbed
55 Bel Air sedan
81 Corvette
02 Monte Carlo (bought new)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:07 PM

If your cowl tag has an L## on it like L30 you can use that to determine the motor, but not all cars had it stamped on the cowl tag.
Find the build sheet under the gas tank or rear seat or a door panel that has never been removed. (Slim chance in #@11)
Or finding an engine block with your VIN stamped on it! (Needle in a Hay stack.)
If your car is Canadian built GM Canada can supply info that they kept in archives for a fee.

You may be able to do a title search and identify previous owners and from that you may be able to contact them and find out some info, but it wouldn't be official unless one of them actually had the original window sticker filed away some place.

If you could find the part number on your front springs or compare them it could hint at a big block if you have heavy duty front springs. But heavy duty suspension could be ordered on small block cars, but most people wouldn't spend it unless they were planning on towing.

Big blocks had 3/8" fuel line and small blocks had 5/16" fuel lines. Of course these could have been replaced if they rotted out at some point.

If they put the original intake and carb on the small block 305 you have (check dates and part number) a 4 barrel would indicate a 327 and a 2 barrel a 283.

Ultimately without paperwork the clues are useless to the end value of the car, as all the clues can be installed after the fact.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the help! The cowl tag only has '592' in accessories area.
Gas tank is in the shed with no build sheet, and the door panels and rear seat have been changed.
Finding an engine block is highly unlikely, as I bought it from out of state, and it was built in Wilmington, DE.
Title searches are relatively useless, as they never give names, and the person I bought it from told me it had a 350 - which it does not!
Front springs don't seem too heavy duty, they seem relatively 'springy'.
Fuel line is 5/16, and I can't imagine someone would have put a smaller one on, but then again I did buy a truck with a 400 with points and a carburetor - and Iridium plugs. (among other things) (also from out of state)
Carb is an Edelbrock, and likely the intake from the 305 - but if you're saying 2 bbls were 283's and 4 bbls were 327's, I would guess from the (albeit handmade) single exhaust that it would have been a 283 with the powerglide, as a turbo 350 would probably be more at home behind a 327.

An old friend of mine had a 66 Impala when we got out of HS (40 years ago) and I'm pretty sure his had a 283.

Reason I asked in the first place, I'm putting on different fenders and plan on using the holes to put the emblems, trim and wheel trim back on the car, and don't know what to put for the engine size.
Or I could put the 327 from my tractor in it and be done with it.

Craig

66 Impala (in progress)
56 stepside shortbed
55 Bel Air sedan
81 Corvette

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 AM

Donít the fenders have emblems of remnants of the original emblems on them ?

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Donít the fenders have emblems of remnants of the original emblems on them ?
No, they were all glassed over and all the trim removed.

Craig

66 Impala (in progress)
56 stepside shortbed
55 Bel Air sedan
81 Corvette
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Or it could have been a six cylinder. A six in the full size car didn't get an engine trim badge. The 283 got the small block sized flags in a "V" shape. A 327 gor the same SBC badge on the fender with a displacement badge saying 327 above it. the big block Chevy got a larger emblem of two flags with the displacement centered between the flags (either 396 or 427). These emblems leave holes in the sheet metal, visible from the back side (inside) of the fender.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The VIN says it was a V8, and I'm familiar with the badgeing. I don't see any holes on the inside of what I assume are the original fenders as they are the same color underneath the red paint as the rest of the car, but maybe they were changed.

Craig

66 Impala (in progress)
56 stepside shortbed
55 Bel Air sedan
81 Corvette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page