Vin Discrepancies - Impala Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags & numbers

2Likes
  • 1 Post By justjohn
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Vin Discrepancies

Hello all, A couple years ago my father passed and I inherited his 63 impala SS convertible which he purchased a 1973 for $600, My question is I had a friend Look up the VIN for me and he said it came back as a hardtop car, he Check out the frame And everything else and says it looks to be a true convertible does anyone have any thoughts on this was wondering if I should restore this car or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Car

Post a pic of the vin and the trim tag for further information

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:04 PM

VIN plate on the door should read: 31867*Sequen

Where the asterisk denotes the assembly plant's location by way of a numeral and then the Sequence number is composed of the last six digits (the plant location is the seventh number that makes the VIN unique for that year.

It will be stamped on the top of the frame behind the passenger side rear tire.

The assembly plant letter code on the cowl tag should match the VIN, as should 1867 matches the body style portion of the Cowl tag if it was a factory V8 other wise it would read 1767 if a six banger.

Big Dave

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 01:35 PM

The 67 in the VIN is the key to it being a convertible. If it does not have that then you may have a car that some VIN swapping has occurred on. Now with that said I have a 63 Impala 2 door hardtop body that had a replacement VIN issued to it. If I look the VIN up in Wisconsin it says it is a 1963 2-door Chevrolet, but the VIN will not work at all in classic car VIN decoders. I'm not too worried about it though as this car is going Pro street so it won't have much stock frame left (front 3rd) and all the floors will be replaced from the toe board back with aluminum.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Post a pic of the vin and the trim tag for further information
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511_085258_1589418040483.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	23552  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 08:27 AM

Vin plate

Yes, definitely a vin tag from a 63 hardtop coupe. Do you have a pic of the trim tag under the hood?

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

The trim tag is missing, the title says convertible
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 AM

Here's some info on your car:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...-Chevrolet.pdf

It has the model ID numbers.

As already stated; a 63 convertible (I have one) MUST have the ..67.... All were Impala's. Either 1767... if 6 cylinder; 1867 if v8.

Pete
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

The reason I'm asking about the vin Discrepancies is because it's about to go to a paint shop, is it worth restoring?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Also my dad had a 63 car 340hp car 409 he was thinking of putting in the car
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystoys View Post
The reason I'm asking about the vin Discrepancies is because it's about to go to a paint shop, is it worth restoring?

IF you are restoring it for it's re-sale value, you would be taking a big risk. It MAY not sell for the price one w/o the phony vin tag would. I would not pay anything close to the same price. But that's me. I can't speak for everyone.

IF you are restoring for your own use and pleasure, only you can adequately evaluate the question.

Pete
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
Quote:

IF you are restoring it for it's re-sale value, you would be taking a big risk. It MAY not sell for the price one w/o the phony vin tag would. I would not pay anything close to the same price. But that's me. I can't speak for everyone.

IF you are restoring for your own use and pleasure, only you can adequately evaluate the question.

Pete
Dont know if this helps, I had a guy tell me today it could be a factory mistake he said he has heard of this before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_180600_1589498038366.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	23558  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 08:29 PM

Highly unlikely. The QC tech that inspects the car to verify it was built to the build sheet puts the VIN plate on the car at the end of the line. I minor issue like calling a hard top a convertible would be hard for him to miss.

Cowl tags yes they have lots of omissions and occasional errors as they were typed by a secretary in the steno pool and attached the cowl tag to the stack of build sheets that would become the car at the other end of the line. Any change in color or interior or engine swap could happen as they might make a substitution on the way down the line for a special rush dealer order. But the VIN would reflect those changes before it left the factory as the QC tech would make sure of it.

Big Dave
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou for your help
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 09:27 PM
BA.

Just thinking out loud here - I wonder if there was ever an under-dash fire or something that would have caused a dash swap. Well, that or an accident.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Just thinking out loud here - I wonder if there was ever an under-dash fire or something that would have caused a dash swap. Well, that or an accident.
Or it could be a stolen car where someone who didn't know any better swapped the vin tag and used another junk cars title. The only way to verify that would be to take the body off the frame or cut a hole out in trunk to look at the VIN stamped on the rear drivers portion of the frame. Since your frame is a convertible frame I highly doubt a frame swap was done with the vin tag change if it was done illegally.

As far as restoring it goes, it all depends on your goal. If it is about profit, you need to get a peek at that vin on the frame and do some tracking to figure out what went wrong where. If it is about having a nice car to cruise in then it would be nice to get a look at the vin on the frame, but not necessary.

You have 47 years of vin discrepancy if this is how your dad bought it. I highly doubt you will find a stolen car report from something stolen that long ago if it was. It also just might have been abandoned.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Dont know if this helps, I had a guy tell me today it could be a factory mistake he said he has heard of this before

The cowl tag would also have the 1867 model identifier on it. It is missing. Coincidence?

The tags WILL impact the resale value of the car, unless you can find someone who will believe 'a guy'.

Pete
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Would anyone have any idea how the title could have the same vin as the car and be labeled as a convertible
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 11:20 AM

Garage
That's an easy one. It was a check box or a field to fill in when the car was first registered. VIN checks weren't a thing back when that first happened and the description was just carried forward.

Quote:
Would anyone have any idea how the title could have the same vin as the car and be labeled as a convertible
BA. likes this.

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 11:24 AM

That is easy. The DOT clerck who typed up your piece of paper for the title never saw the car. She was sitting at her desk (sexist I know, but statistically accurate) filling out paper work.

Now the person that presented the information to her was commiting fraud but unfortunately not every one is as honest as you. Caveat Emptor is a saying used by Romans who were the first to engage in commerce.

Big Dave
62BillT likes this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
47 years ago we did not have a computer based DMV. If someone wanted to decipher a vin they would have to either call the manufacturer or if they had books they could try on their own. Normally they just took the person registering the titles word for it. A lot of states back then were also no title states, so you didn't have to get a title for a car. You would then have to register for a title if you went to a state that required titles. For the most part people were a lot more trusting back in those times.

I also notice that your rivets are not filled in, that is generally a sign of some kind of VIN tampering as all of my cars have the rivets filled with something. Now normally if the body matched the Vin it could be chalked up to a vin removal for a full restoration and/or paint.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:08 PM

Years ago I bought a '69 Camaro RS/SS Pace Car Convertible and when I had tag deciphered it came back as a hardtop. Had it inspected thoroughly to confirm everything else was original. I owned and drover it for several years then when I sold it, the buyer didn't care what the VIN was, he paid my asking price and was happy with the Pace Car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page