Impalas.net banner

62 SS VIN decoding

40K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  62BillT 
#1 ·
I have a 62 super sport for sale and twice buyers have backed out because they say the vin is wrong for an SS. A man in an impala club confirmed that it was correct but I don't know how he did it, so don't know what to tell buyers. I know it is an early car & was sold with an automatic on the column which I guess was only available for a short time. Vin is 1 21867 B1484 50 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
I don't read that site, so I can't comment on whether their breakdown is correct or not as its written. It's been stated twice before, and now for the third time, you can't tell a real SS by the VIN until 1964.
With that fact in mind, you can take a look at that site and make your own conclusion as to whether they have it correct or not.

Verne:thumbsup:

#9 ·
Verne, I'm not trying to argue with anyone. However, just because two people say something on the internet, doesn't make it fact. Perhaps you could broaden your horizons and stop by that site? I'm not defending 348-409, I'm not a 62 Impala expert. Either their VIN decoder is wrong, or a couple of our members are.

#10 · (Edited)
Jason,
I understand your questioning but I think Verne has given up trying to correct all the incorrect information on the internet. I know that we are anonymous to each other and you probably do not know Verne's credentials so I encourage you to investigate this on your own. The fact is that the Impala SS was a unique model from 1964-1967 only and have their own unique model number in the VIN. All other year Impalas take more investigation. You will find this in chevrolet literature, books, and various other published sources. I know from experience that when Verne types something it is indeed a documented fact, if not he will phrase it as an obvious opinion. BTW Verne is the foremost expert on '58-'64 full size chevrolets in the country and we are lucky that he still shares his expertise with us. That web site is a very good resource but double check to be sure.

I'm not trying to dismiss your questioning, that is good and natural, just trying to educate. Do a search and you will confirm my conclusion, also see the link below.

A good book for this information with minimal errors is "chevy by the Numbers" by Colvin

http://www.jerseylategreats.com/doc/docservice.html

Try this decoder. it looks better. See it does not have a code for Impala SS in 1962.
http://www.decodethis.com/Pattern-Details/id/44

Craig

#11 ·
Craig, I have the "Numbers" book. I know you guys know your stuff. All I was wondering is "why" their site is wrong. Of course there is misinformation out there on the net. You and I both occasionally correct some of it here on this site... lol

Verne, you've been here for seven years, post a little more often! ;)

#12 ·
I tried that VIN decoder and it is definetly incorrect. I put in the VIN for a 1960 2 door sedan and it says its an Impala SS. We all know that there were no SS in 1960.

If you look in your book your will see that the 61,62,and 63 Model number listings do not show any SS listings. See pages 21-23 but on page 24 it shows the 1964 Impala SS model numbers 1347,1367,1447,1467.

The seperate model numbers for SS went through 1967. That is why these year cars are harder to fake, you have to commit a fraud to make a fake SS in those years.

That goes for US cars Jason. I can't comment on those north of the border!
Hope you are having a good winter up there.

#13 ·
Spring can't get here soon enough! I miss driving my cars. Especially my 65"nonSS"Impala convertible! lol

Really interesting about that site. Good to know the truth! I'll edit my post up top so there is no confusion in the future.