Impalas.net banner

Steering gearbox

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Darth 
#1 ·
Hey guys, me and my friend are building a big block 66 impala, and outlr power steering gearbox is hitting the exhaust manifold. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a smaller one that will fit, with good road feel aswell. Also if anyone knows where to get a smaller master cylinder for the breaks. Thanks for the info.

#2 ·
Welcome to the Team Paul!

You have an issue with your installation. The BBC fits with room to spare if you have the correct transmission cross-member and motor mounts. Headers do have an issue with the steering gearbox clearance, but they generally can be massaged to fit.

Because it is a BBC you need the Special High Performance interlocking motor mounts to fit your frame stands. 1958 through 1968 used tall and narrow engine mounts while 1969 through 1972 model years used the short and wide engine mounts. Unfortunately most parts store computers list the 1969 through 1972 as universally fitting earlier cars which they do not.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Good point!

It slipped my mind entirely. There were exhaust manifolds cast for pick-ups that were different for vans /motor homes; as well as what Darth said. Impala was different than the Chevelle which was also different from the Corvette and the Camaro/Nova. This is because unlike any other GM big block engine the big block from Chevy was a truck engine that didn't fit in a car body very well because it was so big. It was made that big for strength and durability.

It is easy to tell a BBC from a SBC, but it takes experience to tell a Buick 455 from a 350 as both are the same size and look very similar. Same for Pontiac and Olds. So you have to be careful picking a street race if you can not tell them apart. A Stage I Buick 455 in a Buick Apollo/Skylark body (basically a Buick labled Nova) will put a Hemi 'cuda on the trailer every time.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.