1968 Drag Link, Passenger vs. Station Wagon? - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

1968 Drag Link, Passenger vs. Station Wagon?

Hi All...New here. I’m gathering parts to do a front end rebuild on my ‘68 Bel Air Station Wagon and was curious what the difference is between a passenger car and station wagon drag link?

My parts book lists two different part numbers in Group 6.870 for 1968
3900553 Pass.
3931493 Station Wagon

Thanks in advance,

Gary

1968 Bel Air Station Wagon Project

1968 Biscayne Station Wagon Numbers Matching, Low Mileage, Original Paint & Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 10:17 PM

The difference is the in the GVW. The Station Wagon and Police/Taxi application used heavier duty parts that were normally used on a light truck. The Corvette has it's own HD parts starting in 1984 and by '97 having their own separate parts list, but in 1968 the 'vette was still using many parts off of the full size car, just heavier duty so it might fit your wagon.

You will discover that the Station Wagon drag link has a bigger diameter ball joints on the ends with a bigger diameter stud with the next size up threaded end over the stock part. The connecting rod will also be larger and heavier in size. Where it differs from a pick up truck will be in the length of the rod and any angles that it makes.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for that Big Dave. Not to be argumentative, but the center/drag link ball joints connect to the pitman arm on the driver's side and the idler arm on the passenger side...if those ball joint studs were larger on the station wagon drag link (sized up) wouldn't there also be station wagon only idler and pitman arms? The tie rods connect to the center most holes and there is no station wagon only part number for those either...

I'm only finding one part number for the 1968 Passenger Pitman Arm #3900557 and one part number for the 1968 Passenger Idler Arm #3900562

Maybe the diameter of the drag link itself is larger and everything that attaches to it is the same as a passenger car? Unfortunately I don't have a passenger car drag link to compare my tired station wagon link to...

I'm wondering if my station wagon drag link could be rebuilt or if I could just use a passenger car version in the event one is unavailable?

Gary

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 10:08 AM

I am working with eighties Impala and Caprice police cars (LPO 9C1) and a Taxi cab (LPO B02). These were special ordered and used special heavy duty parts. Chevy built so many of them that all of the OEM catalogs used these part numbers lumped in with the station wagon which used the same parts.

As an example the station wagon, police car and taxi of the eighties all had 12 inch diameter rotors instead of the stock 11 inch. Front suspension parts were super sized. Shocks where different as were the springs (1971-'77 used leaf springs on the rear axle instead of coil springs like the passenger car to carry more weight, and used a light truck 12 bolt instead of a car 12 bolt).

There are differences between the wagon and the passenger car from the seventies and up, but I never worked on either a wagon or police car from the sixties so I have no first hand knowledge.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page