68 impala power steering box swap - Impala Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

68 impala power steering box swap

Gathering parts for my 68 and had a question about power steering boxes. My impala has a power steering box on it right now that turns fine and smooth, but it sat outside without a hood for years without the hoses on it so it got rained in at least a couple times. My cousin has an entire power steering setup off of his 65 chevelle that he took off after he went rack an pinion. My question is, would the power steering box from his chevelle work on my impala? I know its not much to find one in a junkyard but this would be a freebie. Any input appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM

Yes they will interchange easily.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM
BA.

Have you considered this as an opportunity to upgrade to a used/newer model box?

There are many good examples out there, such as using a (surprise!) Jeep Grand Cherokee box. I think from 1994 - ??
$50 used box (any junkyard)
-new adaptive steering rag joint (Lee's power steering)
-standard-metric hose adapter (Lee's power steering)

...or, a late 70's - mid eighties box. probably no adapters needed there.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Have you considered this as an opportunity to upgrade to a used/newer model box?

There are many good examples out there, such as using a (surprise!) Jeep Grand Cherokee box. I think from 1994 - ??
$50 used box (any junkyard)
-new adaptive steering rag joint (Lee's power steering)
-standard-metric hose adapter (Lee's power steering)

...or, a late 70's - mid eighties box. probably no adapters needed there.
By upgrading he is refering to faster turning and more road feel than the dead feel you have now that requires a pointer to know if your rudders are amidship or not.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what company the box is but I know its not the factory stock box. He replaced the original manual box about 6? years ago if I'm not mistaken so it should be a newer box.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 AM

From 1964 through 2004 GM used the same Saginaw Gear steering gear box. There are two series the 800 and the 600 differing visually in how the top of the box is sealed (the 600 uses an aluminum cap held on with four bolts the 800 has a steel disc held in place with a circular wire snap ring). The different model numbers denote turning radius and rate of turn (fas slow or variable) and they have changed parts inside to provide more road feel as people demanded it when driving habits changed over the decades.

The only non-Saginaw box would be to use a rack and pinion system which is nothing like a Saginaw Steering Gear box, or the hydraulic ram system used on the 1958 to '64 Impalas. The Saginaw steering gear is efficient and cheap to make that Chrysler uses them on all of their jeeps and SUVs as does Ford motor company. The list of possible donor vehicles is practically endless as GM used them on every car made except the Corvette, the Chevette, the Vega-Monza and the Corvair which went into production before the Saginaw box was invented (early Corvettes used a Saginaw gear box but they switched over to rack and pinion steering in later models). They were also used in all of GM's light duty trucks and vans.

Read this article as it explains up what you get with an upgrade.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Dave,
Just a point of clarification with respect to Saginaw power steering gear models.
All of these gears have the top cover held in place by four screws and an aluminum end plug held in place by a round wire ring.
Model 800 GM Passenger Cars (A, F, and B-cars)
Model 808 Big Cadillacs, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles.
Model 700 Light Duty Pickups and SUVs
Model 708 Heavy Duty Pickups and SUVs

Model 605 Smaller GM Passenger Cars - cheap acme screw design gear used on some GM cars in the 1970s. This gear has the circular top cover held in place by a big round wire ring.

Model 600 Latest Saginaw design with "rack and pinion" type valve. This gear has a different design top cover held in place by four screws. The housing does NOT have an end plug (solid casting) and the valve is bolted in place.

Jim

Last edited by JIML82; 08-17-2013 at 03:57 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 AM

Great info guys! Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 02:47 PM

I sent my original beat-up, lazy, leaky 1967 steering box to Lee Manufacturing. Was sandblasted and painted, completely rebuild with upgraded valving (from 10 to 30 lb) for better road feel, faster ratio(16 variable), new rag joint. Lot of people praise the quality of Lee boxes.
A bit expensive but worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page