1965 SS big block help needed ASAP! - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

1965 SS big block help needed ASAP!

I have been lurking for some time, absorbing the wealth of information you folks provide while looking for a suitable car to buy. I believe I have found it but need some help pretty quick or I ll either miss an opportunity or pay too much. Essentially I have found what appears to be an original `65 SS 396 convertible that I intend to travel to see and likely purchase tomorrow. The seller is not terribly knowledgeable and neither am I which obviously can be a dangerous combination. I have been able to determine via the VIN and limited cowl tag info hes been able to provide that it is a SS and convertible with a 4 season air and camel interior. Matching # motor and trans yet to be determined. What options should the car have and what clues should I look for in order to be relatively sure the car is an original big block car? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 AM

should have 12 bolt rear, 3/8 inch fuel line all the way, casting and date #s on the back of the block are the hardest to fake but not impossible, check for holes filled where small block emblems might have been in the front fenders, there are probably many other clues so check back for other replies
dave

Last edited by 69427; 06-23-2006 at 05:28 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 AM

vin should start with 166675 - probably has power steering & brakes ? but was optional
powerglide was the most common tranny - 4 speed would be rare !
4 or 5 row radiator, 7 blade clutch fan, fatter front srings and sway bar than small block sorry I don't have the measurements.
dave

Last edited by 69427; 06-23-2006 at 05:27 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, the VIN checks out. Owner was able to to get A31 and C60 option codes off the trim tag for me but that's about it. What is the deal with the emblems on the fenders? Did big block cars not have any? Also on the fuel line is that 3/8" od or id? Anyone have an idea about the bar and or spring sizes? Seems like this would be pretty easy stuff to check if the motor proves to be non-original which I suspect is the case.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Fuel line is ID SBC used 5/16th. BBC emblems were a BIG V with fags on end of staff, small block was just two crossed flags with shield in between. If they have gone to that much bother to clone the car buy it and enjoy it, just be sure to insure if for purchased value.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Went to see the car today and it is an original big block car but as I suspected did not have the matching motor or transmission. Funny how a "no rust at all 100% complete and running car" turns into one that needs rear floors, a trunk pan a quarter panel a complete interior and top and won't start. He's firm at $10,500 and I passed. The quest continues.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 PM

sorry to hear that, but not suprised, I think we've all been there before ?
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page