68 wiper issues and frustration. - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

68 wiper issues and frustration.

Ok....I have recently purchased a 68 4dr hardtop(with posts). The fella I purchased it from was...less than smart in terms of rebuilding and wiring...but hey, that is what project cars are for right? Make em your own.

Anywho...problem is...finding information on a few specific items and pictures...or names of parts. I can rebuild engines and rear ends...but as for the finer things...well...I am lost.

My biggest issue is the wipers. I have a new(to me) wiper transmission arm set and wiper arms themselves. My wiper motor works famously and has a pump (bonus!)...problem is...the fit between the motor and the wiper transmission arms. I know some kind of ball fitting goes there and it amplifies the meager motion of the motor into something to drive those nifty wipers the length of the pull and back....problem is...I have no idea what I am looking for...a picture of it...where to get it. So I am here asking for direction.

I need help...I have already been screwed over getting a part that some said would work and doesn't...I don't want to waste any more time nor money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 PM

Welcome to the Team Aaron!

The parts you want look like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-Chev...2765eb&vxp=mtr

This is one of two similar offers for the arms that link the wiper arms to the motor. It doesn't include the bell crank you need that bolts to the motor (the arm with the ball on it).

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks for that...let me pick the brain again...

My wiper motor...which may or may not actually go to my car...moves maybe 3/4 of an inch total...not nearly enough to move the wipers much at all...I have a ball arm for a chevelle that some file work will fit on the current motor...

I have seen motors that make big circles on their own...some need a little metal plate with a ball on it...others need a while complex transmission of stuff.

Show me as if I am stupid...what motor I need( engagement side where it actually connects to the transmission arms.) And explain to me...I am new to this, please bare with me.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 AM

The motor for your car uses a round motor (as opposed to the alternative rectangular motor) and the arm in the back rotates completely. It doesn't rock back and forth.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
information, wiper, wiper motor, wiper transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page