1963 Impala Red Interior - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

1963 Impala Red Interior

I've been hunting the web and requesting samples for the 1963 Impala Red interior. So far, it appears as though the original red was called medium red but seat cover samples look like a dark red and the carpeting and dash looks like a bright red.

Did Chevrolet use different reds in the interior in 1963? Does anyone happen to have a car with an original red interior that can send me some pics? I don't want to install the wrong colors here.

Thanks,
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I've found online regarding 1963 colors.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...vrolet&rows=50

The samples that came in from Cidellia, Ecklers and Classic look like the "ember/ palomar red to me...nothing like the 63 truck red.

Does anyone know if Chevy used a different color for the dash and carpet on 63s? The images I've looked at online look allot lighter than the Ember/Palomar red and even lighter in cloth.

Anyone own an original 63 with original red interior? If so, send me some pictures.

Help is greatly appreciated. I want to get this right if possible.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM

Problem with photographs is that the saturation and hue (the color) can be affected or altered by lighting and the quality (source) of the light. Unless you are using indoor film (not digital) and tungsten photo bulbs for lighting and exposed for a grey card (18% grey) then you have no idea what color the interior shot is. Once the film is developed and printed it can be scanned and Hue, Saturation, Contrast and Brightness adjusted (usually referencing off the skin tones of the model accompanying the photo).

Strobes give off white light similar to a sunny day, fluorescent bulbs shine with a green hue, while common light bulbs are not color corrected to the pure tungsten coloring because they haven't used tungsten in decades with cheaper material available.

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

So,, given the color charts what is the factory interior color? Ember or some other color?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM

'Ember red' is an exterior color RPO 922 for full size Chevys. The interior is listed as simply 'red' RPO 886 for a 63 Impala convertible w/bench seats and 879 for convertible w/bucket seats. The other models also list an interior color of 'red' but with different RPO codes. I do not know if the colors are actually different.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Pete.

I'm trying to locate someone that has an original 63 with original red interior so, I can see some pictures of the upholstery and dash paint colors. If you have one or know some that does, please let me know.

Thanks,
M
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp177 View Post
Thanks for the info Pete.

I'm trying to locate someone that has an original 63 with original red interior so, I can see some pictures of the upholstery and dash paint colors. If you have one or know some that does, please let me know.

Thanks,
M
Hope you find what you are seeking.

Although the memories are almost 50 years old, I had a 63 Impala convertible back in the mid sixties that was ermine white exterior, black top and red interior. I have attached a pic of my current 63 Impala convertible of the same colors. The interior is not original material from 1963 (I bought the car with this 'restored' interior) but it is the same as I remember from my old car.

It's not exactly what you are seeking, but its the best I can offer.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	8177  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the picture.

The seat covers look allot like the samples I've been able to acquire. My samples are 3" x 5" so they may look lighter installed on an entire seat. Regardless, its very close.

What's really interesting is the dash or speedometer housing. The red color looks brighter/ lighter than the seat cover color. I've seen this allot online and looks correct for the 63 interior. Trying to ID the dash red has been next to impossible so far. Do you have any idea what color the dash is? Or is it the same color as the seats and just looks lighter in the picture?

Thanks again for the help. I got the seat color down now. I need to nail the dash color down next.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 AM

This is my interior and not the original, and you're right the dash looks a couple of tones lighter...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25851284-770-0@2X[1].jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	8193  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I like the look of your interior. The picture is probably lighter than the color in person. I've seen this combination all over the net so I would say you have period correct colors even though its not the original interior from 50 years ago. I've tried to locate a survivor to no avail.

Thanks for the pics and information.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp177 View Post
Thanks so much for the picture.

The seat covers look allot like the samples I've been able to acquire. My samples are 3" x 5" so they may look lighter installed on an entire seat. Regardless, its very close.

What's really interesting is the dash or speedometer housing. The red color looks brighter/ lighter than the seat cover color. I've seen this allot online and looks correct for the 63 interior. Trying to ID the dash red has been next to impossible so far. Do you have any idea what color the dash is? Or is it the same color as the seats and just looks lighter in the picture?

Thanks again for the help. I got the seat color down now. I need to nail the dash color down next.
I looked at my interior this morning in natural light and all the non-metal parts (seats, carpets, door panels, padded dash, etc) are all the same shade of red and match within my ability to see. The metal dash and A pillars are the only painted metal parts and they are a little lighter. To be honest, I never noticed until I looked for it. The delta in shades may be due to fade. It may be due to the very different surfaces and how light reflects off of them. I do not know.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

I would agree, soft materials would/should match closely. In 63 the seat cover red was a dark red not a light red like the chevy emblem red. Hard surfaces would be lighter than the soft surfaces due to the differences between dye versus paint.

The challenge for me is to figure out which red to use for the dash. I could use the red seat vinyl sample and have a quart mixed. I'm afraid it would be very dark. Or go with the Ember/Palomar red used on the outside for 63 Impala's.

Perhaps you can help me ID the color? See the link below;

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...olet&year=1963

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by msp177; 09-27-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add more details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page