1958 cay coral Impala - Page 2 - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

today we sprayed the dash.... We had it painted at one time, but some rust formed, so we had to strip half of it, treat the rust, and start over. we painted the entire dash today with 4 coats, put 4 more coats on the steering wheel, and touched up one spot on an interior trim piece that was a little thin. The good news is after all of that we STILL had a little paint left over. About 6 oz, already thinned. Does anybody know what the shelf life is for thinned paint?

We also prepped the body for first coat of dupont. It's sanded down with 400 straight as a whistle. We're going to paint one coat on Saturday morning, let it dry, and then prep the body for the final coat. These last two coats we're really obsessing about how perfect the body is before we put on any paint. I can go over the entire body with dry 400 and not see any ridges or anything that resembles uneven spots, so I'm confident we're ready to go. Normally we wouldn paint two coats in one day, but as important as that top coat is going to be,I dont want to rush the prep job for it, or spray when it's too hot outside.

Still hoping to done painting by the end of the month, and then we're going to put the gas tank, fuel lines, and engine in the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Amen.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

OK, good day today... mostly..

We have a problem with the air gun that we eventually figured out, and we managed to get the second to top layer of paint (the first layer of dupont lucite) on the car. We sprayed two topcoats on the belt so we could remove the tape, and for fun put the dummy roof vent in place for a photo op.

We're pretty tired (it's almost 100 here today) and we have a lot of clean up to do before we're ready for the final coat, but things are going pretty good.

post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

putting on the last coat
It went pretty good...a couple spots we need to clean up next week, but it's nice getting that stage behind us
yeah, I know... no mask. It's just lacquer, and we had pretty good ventilation...
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to keep updating this thread because I like the discussion, but I also started a website for pictures and narrative

http://fourfinleys.com/impala.html

check it out, I think it's pretty good
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

today I colorsanded and compounded the tops and a little of the sides of the quarter panels we sprayed last week. My dad worked on wireing under the dash. Next time I go over we're going to roll the car outside, lay the trunklid in place, and see how close the paint we just sprayed matches the paint that was sprayed years ago. If it's not close, we're probably going to buy 2 more gallons of paint (at $650 a gallon) and respray everything. It's the only way to get it right, but we're hoping the paint comes close to matching. really really close is good enough for my dad. Not that close... is understandibly NOT. It wont be like starting over, but it will set us back a couple of months.
we'll know more next saturday!

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

ok good day today... mostly.
For the most part, the paint my dad and I sprayed is a perfect match to the paint that was painted years ago by a "professional" Here's the problem. One side of the trunk matches the rear quarter panel perfectly, but the other side doesn't. It's like the "pro" didn't get enough paint on the driver's side, so it worries me to do the colorsanding to brng out the shine.. I dont think the paint is thick enough
The good news is because we dont ahve to do as much blending as I thought we might, we have enough paint so we can afford the use more on that half of the trunk
We're so frustrated wth the quality of the "pros" work. After looking at it, it's MUCH worse than what my dad and I have been doing. it looks like he didn't do any colorsanding, he just hit some parts with a buffer, and we need to respray the edges of one door because he has primer showing through on three of the four edges. I had to take a fender we thought was all ready to put on the car outsdide and colorsand and buff it, to see if there was enough paint on it before we hit primer. We have no idea how many coats of paint are on it.. we paid for 3, but from the way the door looks, we didn't get what we paid for.

anyway, here's the pics from today, It was nice getting the car outside
you can see here the difference betwen the drivers side and the passenger side of the trunk..

by the way, in this pic... the back 75% of the quarter panel has NOT been buffed, just sanded.. we only buffed next to where the door would go to check the match..
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

just an update....

we didn't have enough paint to finish the car, because it turns out the body panels that were painted by the "pro" we painted so thin you couldn't polish them without hitting primer.

We we had TCP match the paint we were working with, but it is a little darker, so we ordered 3 more gallons and started the car over again. It's totally painted now, so now I'm starting the buffing and compounding stage. So far it looks great, the paint is less pink than the former shade, which I like,and it looks like we will have a full gallon left for future uses, which I LOVE

I'll post some new pics when I get more of it buffed out, we've also been doing some work on the dash, it's coming along just fine
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:59 PM
BA.

Looking good, you guys are sure putting a lot of effort into that and i'm sure it will show in the end. (+ the bonus of doing something with your dad)

Thanks for the update!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:12 PM

I must say also looking good man

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

I went to my Dad's house today, and started sanding and compounding the paint I sprayed last weekend... so far... it's good. I had to respray a couple of sections until I got a hang of how much to sand, but here's the progress so far. I think you can tell it's a different color than the last batch, which is why we had to repaint the entire car.

post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM

Great job!!!

1967 Chevy Impala 4 dr hrd tp...
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Did some compounding today... Dad's been at the hospital for a couple of wees, but he should be strong wnough to come home by the 14th... in the meantime I'm just plodding along, trying to finish up the painting part of the project so we can move on to getting engine and fuel system back in

post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:15 AM

Its looking great!!
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

dad came home today and he was really excited to see the car, you can tell because one of the first things he did was go out there and start rubbing on it with a microfiber cloth...

post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

we've been getting a lot done lately... today we mostly finished the dash, heater, and put in the master cylinder. The job is usually 90% scavenger hunt and 10% jigsaw puzzle, but on a good day like today it's more like 50/50

post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

progress has been slow, we've had to search for parts around his house for every little thing, he's got everything we need, but after 10 years since the car was taken apart, who knows where most of them are
but, we had a good day today!
I had a problem with the fuel door looking right in the hole...problem solved, more or less.. lets just say it's not perfect, but it meets factory specs
also install the fuel lines and the gas tank, and got the speedometer cable installed (learned we should have put it in place before we put the kick pad in with the christmas trees.... oh well, a little backtracking never hurt anybody, and trees are cheap

better pic of the dash finished
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

couple new pics

great day!
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to shopking68
Love that car! Great job and glad it is coming together nicely.

1966 Caprice
1968 Impala (Frame Off Project)
2001 Tahoe LT
1972 Chevy C10
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 PM

Wow Mark,

Lost track of your thread...
Good to see that the workmanship still is unbelievable....
Surrounded by the ones you love.

Brad
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

the engine is IN! working today to put the driveshaft and transmission lines in. Alsready got ther water pump and exhaust manifolds on right after these pics were taken

post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Very nice car. Thanks for sharing your experience. Your making dad very happy and will have years of memories.

I know how much work this is. I have been doing a frame off restoration of a 66 Impalss SS convertible, which are started over 20 years ago. I am finally forcing myself to spend at least one day a week on the car.

Good luck.

Brian
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Looking great. Thanks for the updates. Keep the pics coming!

Jason.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalabrl View Post
Very nice car. Thanks for sharing your experience. Your making dad very happy and will have years of memories.

I know how much work this is. I have been doing a frame off restoration of a 66 Impalss SS convertible, which are started over 20 years ago. I am finally forcing myself to spend at least one day a week on the car.

Good luck.

Brian

love the 66! I'm hoping this won't be a 20 year job.... I'll be 60 when we're done, and my dad will be 92... that' won't work...

It's hard to tell how ling this will take... we get something doen every time I go over (about twice a week) but it's usually small things, like this last monday... I put on the starter, the transmission lines, the vacuum modulator line, and the tin C washers on the exhaust manifolds, and that was one day.... With that list we should be able to do it in an hour, but between finding all the parts for each install (the car was taken apart so many years ago many things have been misplaced) it takes 10 times longer than anything should

I've said this project is 90% scavenger hunt and 10% jigsaw puzzle

coming up next... the driveshaft, radiator, exhaust, and the carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page