1958 cay coral Impala - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

1958 cay coral Impala

this is a project I'm doing with my Dad (72) I'm 40 and a working musician, but my schedule gives me the flexibility to drive to his house (30 minutes away) to work on the car about once a week.
little background... he bought the car in 1977, and it looked like this...

not bad, but it's painted like a bel air, and that wasn't acceptable to him. the interior was just in good, not great condition, and the wiring needed work, so in 1999, 21 years after he bought the car for $300 (!!!!!) he decided to start the ground up restoration himself
first, he gutted the interior, and prepared the car for blasting

then he primed it

he then took the body off and did the work on the frame and rebuilt the suspension.

Last edited by 58mark; 07-04-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

then he paid somebody to paint the removable body panels with acrylic lacquer. the guy did a good job painting.. but he used a lot more paint than we had expected, and it was hard to get in touch with him, and harder than that to get the parts back. for a while we literally thought he had run off with the body panels and paint.
I think the plan all along was to have this guy paint the entire car, but after all the headaches he had with them, he was out as an option.
It was here that the whole procedure came to a halt for years. My dad started to expereince major health issues, and his wife of years died of cancer. He lost all motivation to work on the car, and it sat dusty as is for years.
In january of this year I decided the best way to help him was to get him involved with the car again. At this point he assumed he would die with the car in a million pieces, and it would be up to my brother and I to decide waht to do with it after he was gone. I told him that I was going to dedicate myself to being the muscle and labor he needed to finally finish this 32 year old dream of his. With my wife's blessing and support, I'm going over there once a week (at least) and talking to him on the phone a couple times a day with ideas and brainstorming our next step.
This project has been great for both of us, it's exactly what we both needed. I recently got out of church ministry full time, and lacked the "project drive" that I thrived on in media ministry.

one of the first things we did was make sure the engine still turned... we turned the crank by hand and made sure none of the pushrods were going to stick

he had painted part of the dash before, so we went to go finish the job

we also had to paint the rest of the interior trim the same color as the dash

Last edited by 58mark; 07-04-2009 at 04:49 PM.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

then we worked on getting the roof ready to paint... arctic white

just yesterday we started spraying coral on the body... we need to make sure the new coral we are spraying matches the old body panels... if it doesn't, we'll have to repaint those as well, once they are on the car.

that's where we stand for now, more later!

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

by the way, we're using acrylic lacquer for the paint. He bought a supply of dupont lucite 20 years ago, and it held up great for all of these years.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Good Luck with her
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 PM

It is gorgeous!

Big Dave
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:58 PM

HEARTWARMING... I can only wish my dad were still here to work on our wagon! Enjoy your project.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

decent day today at my dad's... We put the trunk on the car to see how the color of what was painted years ago (by somebody else with different equipment) matches what we sprayed last week. The good new is it's really close, the bad new is it's not close enough to just paint the primed stuff and forget about it. We're going to have to try to blend the new paint in with the old. We're going to get a gallon of color matched paint to use as a bottom coat, and spray the paint we have as our topcoats. After blending, if he's still not happy with it, he's prepared to spend $1500 on two gallons of PPG Acrylic Lacquer paint to put a couple topcoats on the entire car, but at this point I doubt that will be needed. I bet we can blend it well enough to make it look very nice.

here's the pictures showing the new and old... it's REALLY close...

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Great story. Hope your dad enjoys what you are doing for him.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Mark,

very nice, your a good man. i bet your Dad is really enjoying the time together. even though it may seem to be hard on him (and you, for that matter)
believe it or not i am going through the almost identical thing. my Dad was diagnosed with multiple myaloma (a bone cancer) and we are trying to get his 1964 chrysler 300k convertible he bought brand new. had been sitting since 1970. everything is done but the motor. and he's fading fast. It's a long distance thing. See He lives in Fla. and I in OH. but we get together twice a year for as long as i can stay. and I just want to see him drive the car. See it was parked when i was 1 year old. Well I just wanted to let you know You and Your Dad will be in my prayers.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the kind words.. I'll be praying for you and your dad. My dad isn't nearly that bad off, but he has a condition that has robbed him of almost all of his muscle fiber, and balance. It makes doing things like holding a spray gun impossible, and he has no nerve endings in his hands, making "feel and detail" work like preping a car for painting impossible as well. He does a few little things in between my visits, but mostly we plan ahead so we have a game plan for the times I come over.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

small update...

Last week we blocked the paint that we had left (it was in four different cans) That gave us about a pint shy of having a full gallon to use as a topcoat for the rear quarters, the belt across the back of the roof, and any blending we have to do. I hope to have enough to topcoat the entire turnk, and then the only blending will be front to back along the doors... I think it would be too noticable to try to blend the trunk, considering every body panel around the trunk has yet still to be painted.

We also used an airbrush to touch up a couple spots on the dash that were thin. I love using that airbrush, it's so efficient with the paint, I dont feel like it's blowin paint places we dont want it.

So the plan for the next couple of weeks it to keep prepping the body for the first couple of coats of paint, which we'l do when the extra Acrylic lacquer arrives from tcp. We hope to get one coat down the week after memorial day, and then another right before I leave for vacation on june 5th.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

huge change of plans...

we've decided to redo the entire roof. There wasn't enough paint on it to polish up nice, so everytime we tried to make it look good we would develop thin spots, have to touch up that spot.

here's the flowchat of how things have been going for us

1. spray thin spot with touchup paint
2. The act of touching up that spot created a halo of overspray around the freshly painted area.
3. the act of cleaning up the halo created one or MORE thin spots on the perimeter of the formerly thin spot.
4. go back to step one to fix that thin spot and start the whole process over again.

we're buying a gallon of white paint to spray a half dozen coats on the roof... That's is more than enough to get it thicker than we could ever go through accidently with sandpaper. And we'll have at least a quart or more of paint to set aside for future use..

Long frustating day... but I'm trying to stay enthusiastic for my dad's sake.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 AM
BA.

Great story and project Mark. Beautiful car too! It's a wonderful thing you're doing, for the both of you!

Best of luck with the car!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

ok, we got the paint in from TCP yesterday, and sprayed two coats on both the roof and the rear quarters.

The sides of the quarters dripped like a SOB. I'm going to have to find the right gun speed, PSI, or distance to make it work with that hi temp lacquer thinner we're using. It was already 90 degrees here, we have to use the hot stuff, and it's not even summer yet

still, it sure is nice not looking at a primered car anymore..
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM

Mark, I can't wait to see this car done, you don't see a lot of 58 s back here in NJ
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 PM

I really enjoyed this thread. Keep up the good work!!
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Great thread.
I too wish my Dad were still here working with me.

Beautiful Car.

Hammerit-
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Mark, Are you still using Acrylic Lacquer?

I love spraying lacquers..Getting close to shooting my 61 but am going to try out
the single stage enamel. Never used it before...

Thanks,

Hammerit-
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Wow. Simply awesome!
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerit- View Post
Mark, Are you still using Acrylic Lacquer?

I love spraying lacquers..Getting close to shooting my 61 but am going to try out
the single stage enamel. Never used it before...

Thanks,

Hammerit-
yes we are.. we got a new shipment from TCPglobal. It was custom matched to what we had, and it's actually closer to the REAL shade of cay coral than the dupont we have, but we're only going to use it as a bottom coat to stretch our supplies, and finish it off with the dupont since the removeable body panels have already been painted.

The white on the roof is easy to work with as long as we get enough coats on it. the metallics are proving to be much trickier, but we'll get it.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

ok new update.. no pics, but I'll have some friday.

we put 4 more coats of white on the roof, giving us 6 total. the body has 4 coats of the TCP paint on it, and it's ready for two coats of our dupont topcoat, which is what the doors, front fenders, trucklid, and hood are painted with.

Friday we are going to paint the belt on the back of the roof coral, we had to wait on the white part of the roof to be finished first, and plus we are dealing with the texas heat, and only being able to work a limited amount every time I go over to my dad's house

more on friday!
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM

That is one sweet Impala

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala
Year: 1971
Doors: 4
Motor: 400 V8
Tranny: TH350
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

ok new update..

today we taped off that small area at the back of the roof to get it ready to paint.. it took a while to get it taped right, because there's only a lip about a 1/8th inch wide to put the tape on before the roof turns into the roof belt.

So we got that sprayed, painted the fender skirts, and did some spraying in the trunk.
The next time we paint, we'll be putting on the topcoats!!!! we hope to be done painting by the end of july.

Last edited by 58mark; 07-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 AM

I believe that that is one beautifull car. You and your dad are doing a great job. It will be worth a lot when you are completed but all that is secondary to your dad having a great son. What you are doing for your father is much nicer than what you are doing foir the car. I believe you are a gift rom God to him. Keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page