It's been a couple of weeks, so I'll get right to it.
As with any of the fixes on the Caprice most of these were self induced by the ex-husband. He felt compelled to cut the bezel to install a stereo in the car.
So after doing a exhaustive search on eBay and the internet I didn't find a bezel worth buying. Then I went to the Classic wrecking yard 2 hours away. They had one from an Impala. They sent me pictures and I said, "Yep, I'll take it." It sat in my computer room right next to the computer I do these updates on. It came time to prep and paint the new bezel for installation, and as I was painting the piece I noticed something was wrong.
Original from the Caprice.
New one from the Wrecking Yard.
Do you see it?
The end is missing on the bezel.
So next came the alternate method. I'll cut the radio portion out of the new bezel and put it in the OE bezel. Sure, I can do this......
So once again...I didn't take any pictures of what I did. This is what I started with. I did fix the right hole 'cause it was missing as most of these were/are. Then I reinforced the hole to support the weight of the radio.
So what I did was: I cut the radio mount off of the bezel. Then I sanded everything down using my bench belt sander to the outside of the raised chrome bead that goes around the black corrugated plastic.
Then, I started to very carefully grind out the black corrugated plastic of the OE bezel. I stopped just inside the raised chrome bead. I did this as a safety measure in case I screwed up I still had the other chrome bead I could use.
I then went back to the radio mount and then very carefully, sanded off the chrome bead. Once complete it was trial and fit to get it into the OE bezel.
Once I was satisfied with the fit. I used ABS glue and glued it into place. I put masking tape on in the center to pull the bezel together.
While I had the bezel upside down and before the glue started to run I put a coat of glue around the whole seam. Then I turned the bezel right side up to prevent the glue from running to the front side.
This is the final product.
I'm waiting on parts for the radio since they didn't come with it.
So while I'm waiting I started in on the console. I found one on ebay and after talking with the guy I was able to get only the plastic part of the console. I didn't need all of the bling it had on it. I could use what I had already. I washed all of the metal parts in hot soapy water and dry them.
Then I set in to re-assemble the console. Once again the ex-hubby messed things up here too.
The pieces are just sitting where they go.
The gauge pack is screwed to the console. It wasn't before. The screw holes were enlarged on the OE console.
New carpet installed, wiring and ash tray. The ash tray was missing in action for many years.