64 Impala SS - factory cruise control - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

64 Impala SS - factory cruise control

Restoring my 64. If possible I would like to find a complete factory cruise control system. Where do you suggest I look? I assume Chevy doesn't make the kit. If anyone has one for sale out there please respond either here or my personal email. [email protected]. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Prior to electronic transmissions the cruise control use took input from the speedometer cable to use a vacuum solenoid to pull the throttle back for cruise control. Everything under the hood could be easily transferred to your '64. What you will have a hard time doing is finding the original dash mounted control switch to set the device as newer cars used a steering column mounted switch on the turn signal stalk.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the reply. I see you are a moderator and respond to many posts. As a novice owner I really appreciate what you do for me and others like me. I've waited 30 years to get a cruiser and chased this car for 5 yrs. if I knew how to send a pic I would.

I ask one more question no one has replied to yet. I purchased a factory tach but I have an aftermarket tilt wheel. My mechanic says it will not sit deep enough in the dash to look right. Anyone else run into this and is there a fix? The 64 tach location is iconic.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:48 AM

Most tachs were dealer installed Dixco tachs with a licensed Chevy Bow Tie. They were mounted on the column angled down about forty five degrees and held in place with a screw type stainless steel hose clamp.

Dixco and Sun were amongst the first electronic tachometers made. In 1964 Chevy was still using a mechanical tach driven off the distributor as electronic (transistors had just recently been unintentionally declassified by the Japanese who had copied the transistorized circuits found in Lockheed's F-104 Starfighter jets stationed in Japan). Transistors had been a military secret up until Japanese transistor radios suddenly appeared on the market.

To Quote Gomer Pyle USMC "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!" If you have ever read Sun Tzu's book "The Art of War" you would understand how our ally could treat us this way, and why we should not have forgotten what happened at Pearl Harbor. But that is history for you.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM

You have to cut the dash to install the tach. There is a template that can be purchased to make the cut correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	med_1408361266-1964_SS_Tach_dash.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	15345  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What you will have a hard time doing is finding the original dash mounted control switch to set the device as newer cars used a steering column mounted switch on the turn signal stalk.

Big Dave
I don't know if they're the same... but these are on eBay for a 65-66 car. Good Luck.

1964 1965 1966 Chevrolet Corvair Cheyenne El Camino Cruise Control Tag | eBay

1965 66 Chevy Impala Caprice Delco Speed Cruise Control Assembly | eBay

1965 1966 Impala SS Caprice Cruise Control 396 409 427 Super Sport | eBay

Chris
Warrenton, OR

'70 Chevelle
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page