1967 Impala SS 327/275 radiator wanted - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

1967 Impala SS 327/275 radiator wanted

I am looking for a radiator for my 67 Impala SS convertible. It has the 327/275 hp engine. Anyone know where to get one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 10:11 AM

That model used a standard base V8 radiator (two copper cores without A/C three cores with A/C). Harrison made them originally. But I would shop around to see if I could find a bigger four core HD cooling with A/C optioned from a former big block car, or go with a modern aluminum replacement that was properly sized.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:00 PM

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk500 View Post
Here ya go. You didn't give any info other that it's a small block. Don't get the universal fit radiator. They don't match up with the mounting holes.

Just a For Your Information warning: A radiator designed to work with an automatic is the better choice even for a manual tranny car. In addition to the heat exchanger built into the larger tanks to hold more coolant, you get a higher fin count with an automatic radiator than with a manual only radiator. The higher fin count closes the gap at the top of the V where it is soldered to the tube to increase the number of fins per inch. This increases the surface area and improves the radiators ability to cool.

Radiators are sized by BTU's. The more horsepower an engine makes the more Big Thermal Units it needs to shed (the B actually stands for British; but most engineers are frustrated punsters so they always change terms so that only insiders get the joke). Your engine if equipped with modern heads and a modern cam can easily make double the factory rated horsepower and as such needs nearly twice the surface area of the original radiator to stay cool.

That is why I recommend everyone buy a Big Block radiator (a 348 and a 409 where the first generation of big block engines). A BBC radiator is normally wider (taller) than a SBC radiator (not sure if this applies in B-body full size cars that had pretty big radiators to start with). But a BBC radiator will have more cores than a SBC radiator because the smallest BBC made over 325 horsepower, which was a lot more than most small blocks were rated for. So though you can find a one core six cylinder radiator, most small blocks had only two cores unless they were also equipped with A/C that added another core to compensate for the hot air coming off of the A/C condenser sitting in front of the radiator (preheating the air). So a BBC radiator could have four cores and a higher fin count if ordered with A/C and an automatic.

Copper actually cools better than aluminum: BUT! Because aluminum is a stronger metal and it can be welded (TIG welded together) instead of brazed (because of the different metals of copper and brass having different melting points) the radiator is stronger than a copper-brass radiator. Additionally you can have larger diameter tubes because aluminum is stronger than copper. this yields more surface area to cool with because the circumference increases with the square of the radius. Two bigger aluminum tubes flattened down offer more surface area to cool with than for smaller copper tubes do, so an aluminum radiator works better at keeping your motor cool. You can also run a higher pressure radiator cap to increase the boiling point of the coolant (but only if you also replace the copper-brass heater core).

Big Dave

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Like Dave said above. Go big early. I went with a BBC radiator in my SBC Nova just for the cooling properties.

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page