68 Cowl area restoration/rust prevention - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayhawk500

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

68 Cowl area restoration/rust prevention

Needing ideas on what you guys have been doing to clean and restore the inner side cowl area down to the kick panel vents. I have the front clip off and repainting the firewall presently. I have all the plastic covers and rubber plugs out of the cowl section now. Oil fogging, factory spatter paint etc.. ? Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 AM

I used 3M's undercoating in the white can. It's about $15 here at NAPA. I've used this product on 2 restorations and have been very pleased with the results and protection.

And I use this for rust conversion once all the loose scaly rust has been removed, But I get it in a spray can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HS-033553_M_jpg.png
Views:	68
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	15898   Click image for larger version

Name:	NWMDC.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	15906  
68imp likes this.

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:36 PM

How many bottles/cans do you typically use on a car?

65 Impala SS
70 C20 Pickup
00 Saturn LS1

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:49 PM
BA.

Like Chris said, I do basically the same thing with similar products/goals.

1. You need to sand/scuff/wire-brush the surface rust.
2. Apply some type of rust converter, there are many types, I haven't found one particularly better than the other but RustOleum or similar aerosol is easy to use like Chris's picture above. (compared with something like Evapo-Rust, also good, but better for soaking parts.)
3. Apply rust prevention. Could be undercoating, could be paint, epoxy-primer or epoxy-paint, or Eastwoods "Rust Encapsulator", POR-15, I think Yellow Bullet has something as well. Lots of choices there. I like Epoxy Primer covered with Rust Encapsulator or paint.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_In_Boiler View Post
How many bottles/cans do you typically use on a car?
On the S-I-L's Caprice is used 5-6 cans of Rust treatment and used 2 cans of Undercoating. Now, I didn't have to do the whole bottom side of the car.
I only touched up areas where I welded the holes shut and in the trans tunnel. My Nova took 6-8 cans of undercoating.

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 AM

If you are referring to the inside of the cowl assembly that is inaccessible, I cut out a section of the firewall on my Chevelle to get better access. I use Eastwood aerosol converter and SOAK the panels to penetrate the surface rust that can't be removed.
I thought I had a pic, but don't. The area I cut out is on the left side, forward facing cowl panel with the bead rolled X. Once the clip is back on, no one can see the weld seam.

'62 Impala SS 409 TH350
'66 Chevelle SS 496 M20
'70 Chevelle SS 396 M20
'67 Camaro ss/rs 350 PG
'38 Chev coupe street rod
'54 Chev 210 2 door
'69 Chev C10
'89 Chev R3500 roll back
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM

CRC sells a cold Zinc galvanizing paint that can be sprayed directly atop any rusty metal and it will stop any further rust from forming (at least so long as there is Zinc left to sacrifice itself. You can use a straw such as found on a WD-40 can to the CRC to spray an area accessed with only an eight inch diameter hole. The Zinc becomes an anode to offer protection.

If you don't mind draining the battery you can just put a charge on the car body the way bridges and out board motors are protected from salt water to prevent any rust from further forming. You can buy a corrosion inhibitor at many marinas or on line.

*Proytec SL | Cathodic protection for boats

It will only offer Cathodic protection when electrically connected other wise it relies upon the passive protection of the anode. But as I said the CRC product I have used on iron gates and fence parts offered decades worth of protection before it disappeared (literally: as you can see through the paint coverage when the zinc is gone). You can not paint over this product as it has a rough finish (looks like a galvanized pipe), or weld on it once painted as Zinc and welding creates toxic fumes.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page