My 61 Restore Erath County Texas - Page 3 - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaark92 View Post
LOL ... so what's your preference, Big Dave!

Perfected? IDK about that. My experience with the Quadra Jet is that it requires a lot of maintenance to keep it properly tuned/running correctly. I'm out on that.

My first thought was a big Holley even when I was looking to keep my 283. Thanks for the info ... so I'll need the return line.

Just curious, though, for a big CFM carb, wouldn't it have the same problem when not "wide open" as the EFI? need to return unused flow? thanks.
I run an 1150 cfm Holley Dominator on a high rise dual plane manifold and it is fed by an Aeromotive electric fuel pump that puts out 90 psi (great for EFI) at a rated 105 gallons per hour at 70 psi. That is a lot more gas than my motor requires when cruising on the street; but it meets my engine's needs at WOT while racing.

I bought the Areomotive despite how expensive it is along with a Barry Grant four port pressure regulator (one in, two out to carb, one return line) to replace two Holley Black pumps to feed the motor. Despite their advertising they couldn't keep up at WOT. This is because of the small print. Holley tells you their pump flows 140 gallons per hour but only with an open line and no head pressure (level flow from tank to pump out let). It was rated at 14 PSI maximum which is twice the maximum pressure that a carb can use. Both the Black and the Blue pump requires a non-return (deadhead) pressure regulator (not included with the pump).

What Holley doesn't tell you is that when you try and feed a carb as big as mine at WOT that their pump can not keep up. Nor do they tell you that while cruising the fuel recalculates in their pump (rather than be returned to the tank) so that it heats the gas up above the boiling point at which time you are in vapor lock; and all you get at the carb inlet is splashes of fuel at zero psi and a lot of gas fumes.

So much for external (outside of the tank) fuel pumps. As to a carburetor it works, It isn't as sensitive to manifold pressure variations as the EFI TBI is (though if you use a cam that never closes the intake valve you will get reversion which is why a big cam has that big cam sound). You can not have a carb that is too big for an engine dyno. If you are running at WOT such as in a race then bigger is better. If you want to drive it on the street then you will need a smaller carb if you want any throttle response (no surging or hesitation).

EFI has a better start up procedure because the computer gives the car extra fuel and retards the ignition timing to allow the motor to spin over faster for a quick start up. The same computer monitors your air fuel ratio, as the motor warms up (How does it know how warm it is, It has a temperature sensor in the coolant and the air cleaner to measure air temp and coolant temp). These sensors are inexpensive (about $20 to buy as service replacements), but if you break out the kit price for the EFI conversion they are closer to $200. Most kits use the Chrysler computer and sensors for some reason and everyone I have heard about on the four boards I work as a moderator usual trash it and buy an even more expensive Holley or other aftermarket controller to get features not included on the Chrysler system.

A carburetor relies upon a bimetal strip to do everything EFI needs a computer and sensors and programming to accomplish the same thing.

EFI was introduced to meet emission requirements not because a carb wouldn't work but because a computer can be programmed to pass an emission test (think VW was the only one doing that?). The customer was buying the parts along with their new car so the manufacture was happy to be able to pass a test that you should never see.

Big Dave
shaark92 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Thanks Big Dave.

The shop I've selected for the tranny has specifically built-up his 700r4 ... Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford Texas. Scott just finished a 58/59? they took on a post HS graduation of his son up to Chicago/back. He's convinced me his tranny build will handle any naturally aspirated SBC. He specifically showed me the parts (I couldn't have repeated "Sparg" if you hadn't included it ...) but yes, all of these.

You HAVE made me reconsider the EFI, though. An 800 CFM Holley for the 383??? I don't mind a rail pump ... but I want to avoid the fuel tank pump.

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
same post time!

don't get me started on the EPA/VW deal. I have an 06 Jetta TDI and had a '12 Jetta TDI. Great little cars. adequate performance, efficient ... and reliable. Anyhow ... that deal with VW made it CLEAR ... someone doesn't want little diesels here in the States.

I want my Impala to GO when it needs to do so, but first is dependability. With a new crate engine and new transmission ... new rear end ... new ... new .new ... I'm holding great expectations of it being an over the road car as well as the occasional ... put the punk with a mustang in his place.

GREAT post ... thanks again.

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album

post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 PM

I may bleed Chevy Orange but I am also an Engineer. I know that the odds of you beating up on a Mustang are slim. Good motor in a body that weighs half of what your car weighs. It is simple physics: F=ma where the F is the horsepower on tap and m is the car's weight. Plug in those two terms and you get your rate of acceleration.

This is the super secret formula that software racing simulators use to tell you how your simulated car will do on the strip.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Aka power-weight ratio.

As a gravity fighter, Iím intimately familiar. Yes, I know if the Mustang has the same horsepower as my Impala ... Iím not likely to get there first. Hmm ... just searched the 2018 Mustang GTís specs ... 450hp ... wow. Ok ... well, the point the car needs the ability to move ... now.

Ecklers was running a sale on the fuel tank/kit for fuel injection ... so the cost isnít as bad as it could have been. Getting EFI on the 383 Stroker ... . $450 for the entire kit (lines/all) ... OEM tank ~$150, plus hanging hardware, sending unit and line ... that was gonna be $385 ... anyway. Hoping I donít have an intank pump failure like I did in the Tahoe.

Thanks @Big Dave.

Photo Album
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Well you could cut a hole in the floor of your trunk to access it if it went bad. But probably not.

In my car I had to cut a hole in the trunk floor to get the sump of my twin fuel cells to fit. Ran pump gas in one fuel cell and pure alcohol in the second to work with a Nitrous-Oxide hit. That is why I started out with two Holley pumps.

Did you know that if you run NOS with pure Methonal you get Nitromethane? Tends to perk up engine performance: or blow it into itty-bitty pieces if you don't build the short block correctly. Learned that in Chemistry class, as well as how to make high explosives at home.

Big Dave
shaark92 likes this.
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Today we finally started the active process of the restoration. As they call it at Armadillo Auto Restoration ... "walking the mile" from the "holding pen" to the tear down bay. Should be ready to paint in a couple of weeks ... they'll bag/tag everything and take photos so they know where everything goes during reassembly. I'd be concerned if they were an Impala-only shop, but they do it all. Have an antique fire truck in progress.

Pretty stoked about today.

Photo Album
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
LED headlights ordered from CarID today.

Thanks for the lead, Impala.net!

Photo Album
post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I know most of y'all have seen one of these ... it's my first ... and I've never seen my '61 like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	21670  

Photo Album
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Body on the rotisserie!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0014 3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	21672  

Photo Album
post #61 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Anyone have the "gouge" on rear antenna placement? Mine didn't have 'em originally, but I'm moving the single antenna from the RF corner ... installing a pair on the back deck. perhaps measuring from the back of the body and from the side for an "X/Y" axis?

Thanks.

Photo Album
post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Ah ... the antennas have a template! how smart! LOL

looks like the 1 1/8" hole is centered 11 1/2" forward of the aft trunk deck and 1 3/8" outboard from the side of the trunk deck.

Al

Photo Album
post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
almost done sandblasting. The machine failed about two weeks ago and the shop owner has been pulling his hair out ... but it's back in service and Polly should be epoxied by the end of next week.

straight metal. He was impressed with the condition of the floor boards and bottom of the door wells. Evidently that rust found in the earlier pix ... all surface. So the only fab work to be done is patching the hole we cut for the 3 speed's shifter back in ~85! LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	21774  

Photo Album
post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Went to the Good Guys car show at Texas Motor Speedway this past weekend. Bought a Cold Case Radiator/dual elect fan kit and a serpentine belt kit from March Performance. The Sport Track with type II PS pump/remote reservoir, and tensioner.

Then ... my resto shop, Armadillo Auto in Hamilton ... took home the restoration award for the show of a 1940-something Dodge Powerwagon.

Yeah ... I called to verify my labor rate was locked-in when we started 3 months ago.

Photo Album
post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Ordered this bad boy today. I'm pretty stoked! ... errr STROKED!

Fuel Injected 383 Stroker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BP383Strokerdressed.jpeg (29.6 KB, 25 views)

Photo Album
post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Have my 700r4SS tranny from Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford ... and my Blueprint 383 fuel-injected Stroker at the shop!

getting closer. will prob need a bit of recovery time, now!

Photo Album
post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
It's been a little while ...

Got 'er all primered up and ready for the fab shop.

Shop Sup says this is the best metal he's ever seen. Window channels, door jambs, fenders ... excellent. Floor pans mostly excellent ... RF Pax floor pan has a few pin holes, probably from the leaking heater core.

So ... 4 pieces of metal: firewall (standard for my shop, to make it clean during the reassembly) ... hole in the floorboard from when I converted to a manual tranny floor shift ... the RF pax floor pan ... and the package tray ... by my request so they don't have to fabricate around the 6x9 speaker holes I also drilled.

Stoked! This should help with the calendar AND the bank account.

Expect to spend no more than 2 weeks in fab, then mock-up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	21926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	21928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	21930  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.jpg (49.1 KB, 21 views)

Photo Album
post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
IDK what happened to the pict of the frame. Sorry.

Photo Album
post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaark92 View Post
IDK what happened to the pict of the frame. Sorry.
It's there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 PM
BA.

Talk about starting with the barebones!

Good luck!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
It's there.

yeah, I just don't understand how it became an attachment vice thumbnail. Loaded all 4 in one event. Oh well.

Yeah, completely stripped/sandblasted ... now primered. Start reassembly next month (year? LOL)

Photo Album
post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Start Mock-up this week! Hope to have a few pix of the painted frame, too.

Photo Album
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Here are a couple (if I figured out this mobile os posting deal)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71AA8F31-3FEE-4B42-97E2-F9985BE4FB15_1548125537464.jpg (19.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2832CFF6-A5B7-41BB-BACC-B293F428226D_1548125552525.jpg (22.5 KB, 11 views)

Photo Album
post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
So the emergency brake cable kit for disc brakes ... doesn't really ...

I've messaged Ecklers to inquire ... but it appears we'll have to cut the end off thread the clip, then put a set-screw type faster on the cable. Just one of the hazards of the resto-mod world, huh?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	22020  

Photo Album
post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Evidently I failed to note the Eckler's cable was designed only for their disc brakes. So ... went to Summit and got a WilWood cable.

NOW ... I have an order of tie rod assemblies ("G PLUS") at Impala Bob ... it's been sitting in the till for a week with no progress on the order status. So I called today. "dude" finally answers after I hear him yelling at someone ... and then questions why I want these? (shop said they were good) ...

Impala Bob's Lieutenant says he'll call me on Monday. ???!!!! ...

This is the second of TWO items I've tried to order from Impala Bob and this one isn't looking good. I found "R Joints?" by ride tech. Looks like these would work with an assembly sleeve. They cost more ... but I've been impressed with Ride Tech's product and processing.

Any other thoughts (on Impala Bob?)

Photo Album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page