66 Biscayne Canadian - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

66 Biscayne Canadian

I知 doing a rotisserie on a Canadian Biscayne with a 427 L72 motor. What product did they use on the bottom of the body? We see drip marks. Is this some kind of dipped primer? Was the fire wall painted in the body Color on Canadian cars? We see the original Color willow green there. I believe American Biscayne the fire wall was painted black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the Team!

I can not answer your question as I have no direct knowledge of a Canadian built car. From what I can see your car was not even undercoated but is in pristine condition. What you see is how they did it. With the area under the rear axle tunnel not being painted due to some one just not doing their job (probably talking to a co-worker about Hokey eh!) South of the border in towns like Detroit it would have been slathered with a tar like under coating similar to what you see sprayed on the bottom of the heater box ares of the foot well.

An L72 will not not run on today's pump gas as the static compression is too high stay out of detonation. An L72 was a 425 horse high performance engine used in racing with 11.00:1 static compression closed chambered high performance heads and a very healthy solid flat tappet cam. Finding one in a full size was very rare. It was built to be a sleeper from the factory (hot engine in a non-traditional body) and was a record holder on many race tracks. Racers chose the Biscayne body because it was lighter than the Impala or Caprice as it lacked sound deadening and other niceties. The sedan body was chosen more frequentlt than the hard top because it was lighter.

I get the impression your car never saw much street time at all. I wouldn't touch it if the top looks ads good as the bottom retaining the original patina.

Big Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 PM
BA.

Nice looking original undercarriage there. I don't know squat about the Canadian cars but it does seem odd to me that yours doesn't have that undercoating. I recall seeing old video about some car (don't remember if it was Impala or even GM) but it was getting a full body zinc bath. I was shocked - I didn't think they did that back then. Maybe yours benefited from something like that.

Do you feel like those drip marks aren't just excess primer? That would be my first suspicion.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal169 View Post
I知 doing a rotisserie on a Canadian Biscayne with a 427 L72 motor. What product did they use on the bottom of the body? We see drip marks. Is this some kind of dipped primer? Was the fire wall painted in the body Color on Canadian cars? We see the original Color willow green there. I believe American Biscayne the fire wall was painted black.
Yes, the firewall is body colour. So is the interior of the trunk! Please don't make the same mistake everyone makes when they restore Canadian cars with the wrong paint in these two areas! We are proud of the difference on our cars vs the US cars and love to see them done correctly...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

Had to do rotisserie because original colour was willow green. My restorer was able to match the primer. I cant believe how clean this Canadian car is. Got lucky.
My shop is located on airport property lots of good fuel. The airport manager is going to let me race this car down the runway when complete. What a great guy.

Thanks for the feed back!!

By the way looking for crank,water pump and idler pulleys, If you know anyone who wants to part

Cheers Diethart
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

The drip marks where primer and my restorer was able to match.

Thanks for the feed back
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the trunk.

Do you know anyone in canada that has parts for a L 72 motor? Need crank water pump idler pulleys. Also 858 heads and carb 3246
My engine was built march of 66
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Your motor if original was one of 1,856 B-body 425 horse 427 engines built in 1967 or 0.0012% of all motors installed; which by definition makes it very rare.

You will need a 5140 forged steel two piece 427 crankshaft. The same stroke forged crank that was offered in the 375 horse 396 will not work. The counter weights are different on the 427 (thicker) to compensate for the heavier bigger bore pistons. The L72 also used 7/16 dimpled rods (hand inspected, and shot peened), not the standard 3/8th inch bolts used on all Passenger BBC engines. The block had four bolts retaining the main caps instead of just two which was standard, and the oil passages were machined for an oil cooler from the factory (only installed on police cars in the case of the B-body).

The problem with this engine and today's gas is that it had 11.0:1 static compression with cast iron heads. That will not work; even with the radical flat tappet race oriented cam that was included with this engine (278ー /278ー duration at 0.050" valve lift and lift at the valves 0.560"/0.560" on a 108ー LSA). If you had aluminum heads this motor was designated as an L88.

You can find a set of used 3873858 date coded A-25-6 here:

https://www.ebay.com/i/282080169234?chn=ps

You will need new valve springs and rocker studs (ARP sells them) as well as HiPerf long slot stamped steel rocker arms (to handle a high lift cam) with grooved rocker balls (smooth balls were used on std PASS heads). I would run roller rockers instead since no one will see them.

Water pump is the same for any BBC so you can buy a rebuilt replacement any where. If this L72 had been installed in a Corvette it would have had a larger diameter shaft with bigger bearings to support the factory 7,200 RPM red line for this engine (I used to twist my L88's to 7,800).

Carb will be impossible to find. Factory used an 850 4150 Holley double pumper. Every list number for the factory original has been either worn out, or is sitting on top of a L72 under the hood of a Corvette.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page