1961-1963 Rocker panels - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

1961-1963 Rocker panels

I started the process of getting all the parts I need to replace the rocker panels on my 1963 Impala sport coupe. You would think this would be a straight forward process. Sites advertise complete rocker assemblies, so I should have just been able to pick one of these up and go to town, right! Wrong. The rocker panel assembly on 1961 to 1964 Impalas is a 4 piece assembly (5 pieces on convertibles) and those complete rocker assemblies that say they include outer and inner pieces are misleading. So I thought I would start a thread to clarify these issues, as I have spent hours online trying to dig up information on this and actually found useful information on the patents filed by GM around this time. I've heard some people say 64 is different, but the parts I ordered say they work for 64 also. If anyone has any info that verifies them different or the same let us know!

I've included some pictures to help people better understand what I am talking about. Sorry about the sheet metal break out being for a 4 door as I have looked high and low for a body shop manual that would show the break out for a 2 door and I happened to luck on this. Apparently if it exists someone is guarding it with their life.

So that piece you bought that says it is a complete assembly with outer and inner rocker is partially true. It includes the outer rocker, but what it calls the inner rocker is actually another piece that should be called the rocker reinforcement panel. Then it gets really confusing when you actually try to order the actual inner rocker as the most online places call this reinforcement piece the inner rocker when sold by itself. Last but not least their is an end cap that also has to be purchased. All and all to replace one rocker you are going to be about $400-$500 in just the sheet metal. Now on convertibles their is also an external Reinforcement that runs along the bottom of the rocker. A lot of people said this piece is not reproduced, but I did actually find them at Hubbards. On a side note, if you are doing a full floor pan replacement with braces it looks like it comes with the true inner rocker attached by looking at the pictures. The full floor pan is actually a heck of a deal for those that need most of it anyway.

Now that I got that all figured out my intention is to actually replace these pieces this summer. I am hoping to get some good pictures of the process and further post on this thread what was discovered during the real world replacement process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	370790929.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	23474   Click image for larger version

Name:	side sheet metal diagram.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	23476   Click image for larger version

Name:	US3084972-drawings-page-1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	23478  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Some surgery pictures for some reference to how the rocker comes apart. The floor was hosed, so I cut it out and welded in some temporary bracing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready to cut out rear.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	23560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reduced Picture.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	23562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Can't take it out in one piece.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	23564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Remainder.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	23566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trial fit A.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	23568  

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page