Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joshua Arbogast
  • 1 Post By 62BillT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1970 Impala Kingswood Wagon

Hello all. My name is Josh and I just picked up this 70 Wagon. I have made a list of the items to get it road worthy and I am going to get started at knocking them off the list. The plan is to get it road worthy for now and eventually down the line getting it cleaned up by repairing the remaining rust spots, and getting it painted. If anyone knows of someone that is good at photoshop let me know so i can ask them if they can help me see what a set of wheels would look like on this car. It has been a little challenging finding parts on line for the 70 model year but i did find a decent amount of stuff at Hubbard Impala Parts. I ordered a few small things from there and there are a few others that ill look into for the future.

List of repairs:
-Fix exterior lighting- found bezels are all rusted and high beams don't work. Need to get new bulbs but ordered new bezels and adjusters
-Fix Suspension - Driver rear spring sits lower than the rest - need to inspect and see what it needs
-Fix radiator - Previous owner installed aftermarket radiator and now the hood doesn't close - needs to be adjusted. also needs a coolant reservoir/overflow tank
-Windshield wipers don't work - can hear the sprayer clicking but might have a bad motor need to diagnose further
-Horn doesn't work - steering wheel is cracked and previous owner cut wires. He had an aftermarket steering wheel installed. Will prolly go the same route since oem steering wheel is $300.00 and i can only find it in black
-Rear crank seal / rear of oil pan gasket is leaking. Looks like someone tried jacking the car up at the oil pan so will need to get that fixed too.
-Will need new tires - starting to crack
-Alternator has a bad bearing in it - rebuild / replace
-Replace all engine belts / clean pulleys
-Positive and negative battery cables are frayed - ordered
-driver window crank wont stay installed - ordered clip and washer
-reinstall rear bumper
-Wash car

Repairs already done previous to me owning it
-New fuel tank
-New brake lines all around and booster and master cylinder
-New radiator - not right
-New carb and tune up - timing needs to be adjusted
-Rust repaired in a bunch of spots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106295688_696469124232897_7597787836923775756_n.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	23806   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	23808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine front.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	23810   Click image for larger version

Name:	front seat.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	23812   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear seat.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	23814  

62BillT likes this.

Last edited by Joshua Arbogast; 07-19-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 04:12 PM
BA.

That's going to be one cool ride!

I can't believe someone paid for a new aluminum radiator and well, didn't have measurements or think about that cap on top. heheh. maybe it was free, or on sale. lol.
You may get lucky and the high-beam issue is simply the 'clicker' for your foot for hi/lo beam. Those go out a lot and many here have had to replace it, including myself. Got mine at NAPA but they're available out there.

The jack on the oil pan is 1) not surprising, and 2) scary! Hopfully they didn't block the oil flow to the pickup or worse yet, knock it loose/askew on the pump. (Mine had been jacked there too, and it had the pickup all cockeyed.

You're in for a lot of work! Good luck!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I was pretty ****ed to see the oil pan that way. My buddy has one that he is going get me and we will see when I take it down if the suction tube is damaged.

I know they used those high beam clickers for a lot of vehicles so it shouldn’t be an issue finding it. When I pulled the high beam bulb out on the driver side one Of the tabs broke so I gotta start there.

My buddy is gonna stop by this weekend to help me get after these lights. Gonna send the registration in this weekend too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Team Member

Garage
A lot of your hard parts are going to overlap with 69. There's not as much available as there is for a 70 Camaro but there are some decent aftermarket parts out there.
Eaton Detroit springs is probably your best bet for matching rears springs. Those are easy to change relative to the fronts.
Crank seal and oil pan gasket is an em effer. Least invasive route will still have you raising the engine to get to everything. After going through it once, I just pulled it all the way and worked with it on a stand.

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven’t taken a look yet to see how bad it would be to repair. Just noticed the area it was leaking. I sold my cherry picker and engine stand when I moved and don’t really have the room in the garage for new ones. Looks like I’ll be doin it the hard way.

Another thing I didn’t mention before was the hood has a lot of flex to it. Not sure if the frame work needs to be strengthened or if I’m gonna need to get a new hood. I did a search and I have only been able to find hoods out in CA in classic car salvage yards.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:33 PM

By the pictures, your Hood doesn't look too bad. They are pretty hard to find in good condition or better. Besides rust problems, they will bend near the middle at the "dimples". They are there for crash safety reasons. When the Hood Hinges get a little stiff from lack of lubrication, they can tend to bend at these points. Keep your Hood Hinges lubed, but not over lubed. Too much and your Hood will not stay up. Even though it would go against the safety feature, there are ways to straighten and re-support the Hood by some creative welding.
Big Dave likes this.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah the hood is essentially folding at the point where is supposed to during a crash. The driver side is worse than the passenger. I was looking at it this weekend and came up with a few ideas on how to fix it. Either cutting out the channel where it’s folding and welding in a new section or filling that area in with weld. Not at the top of my priorities but I’ll definitely try lubricating the hood.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:04 AM
Team Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Arbogast View Post
Yeah the hood is essentially folding at the point where is supposed to during a crash. The driver side is worse than the passenger. I was looking at it this weekend and came up with a few ideas on how to fix it. Either cutting out the channel where itís folding and welding in a new section or filling that area in with weld. Not at the top of my priorities but Iíll definitely try lubricating the hood.
I have the same issue with my car. Bending the hood was actually my fault. I didn't realize the resistance was the *new* reproduction hood hinge. Hood will get fixed when it goes to the body shop.
My fix for the hinges was billet replacements. I thought they were a ridiculous expense for show cars for several years but after having them, I could not imagine getting factory hinges this smooth and lateral flex free. They were worth it.

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 AM

I can't wait to see the transformation of this old car. It seems like you will have fun working with it. Make sure to keep us posted with every progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page