1968 Impala worth it or just a parts car - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

1968 Impala worth it or just a parts car

Fellow Impala lovers,

I recently inherited a 1968 Impala from my great Aunt. It stopped running about 6 years ago. This car is a 2d hard top with a 307 v8 93000milies. Because of the family connection I have a strong desire to restore but watching the Mecum show this weekend and then going to the mecum site I realize that if the car had a 327 it would still only be worth 7000 - 10000. I speculate it will cost just that much if not more to restore this car frame up. So my question to the more experienced in this forum, is it worth it?

I am open to all opinions, the attached picture shows what I have to work with, not bad but not good either...

Aunt Lois
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4742.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1320  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I do not think you will ever get your money back if you have plans to sell the car. You mentioned that the car has sentimental value and that is not something you can put a price on. In my opinion, if you like the car and have the money to restore her, do it. If you are looking to sell it for profit, you are probably better off investing in something else.

That's my 2 cents.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM

1968'S ARE NOT REALLY BRINGING IN ALOT OF MONEY, I always say, dont fall in love with a car,let some one who really likes 68's buy it and restore it, try putting it on E-bay and see what happens,advertise no reserve, you may be surprised

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM

As a another member was complaining about the lack of parts and appreciation earlier for his 1967, these cars are not going to return anything near what it costs to restore one. They are not as popular as the earlier cars where, before the full size cars ballooned up in size and weight, to reflect what the American consumer wanted back in the late sixties and early seventies (opulence for a cheap price). The 1968 year reflects this the most as it was even sold by dealers as a baby Cadillac (check out the 1968 Caddy Brougham and see if you can tell them apart).

Just like a Caddy without, a BBC to motivate them these heavy cars are sluggish at best, so I would be thinking more of a 427 (454) upgrade than a 327 in the motor department and a TH400 behind the BBC as well; which also needs a 12 bolt instead of your current 10 bolt (so you can probably see the price rising as I speak).

Big Dave
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
I'm with Alex .. you rarely restore one of these old cars for profit - but if you seriously have an affection for the car, and a family history, it may be worth your time. Only you can answer that. Getting it back on the road, lookin' fairly pretty and enjoying it on the weekend shouldn't be too much or too expensive, so long as you don't have a ton of rust-out issues with it. But restoring it 'from the ground up' in hopes of recouping your money isn't a wise bet.

I've restored worse. What's your gut telling you? Good luck!~

'63 Impala Sedan
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
BA.

don't restore it - just make it a driver and then decide to keep it or sell it to someone who wants to put the bigger money into it.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your replys I really appreciate it
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm with what everyone is saying. I'm doing a frame up on a 68' convertable and I'm doing it the way I would have it if it were new. Because I like them and I don't plan to sell but I always think of the future and if I did have to sell the BBC and Muncie 4 spd. 12 bolt would help on some of the investment.
The only thing you say is that it was in the family, do it for that or just make a nice daily driver or trade for something you like.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Before you decide to do anything check the frame for rust and rot. Check the floor pans and trunk pans. If the body and frame are good,then I would consider restoring it as that takes a lot of the high cost away.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

To check the floor pans I just lift the carpet and tap with a screw drive to see if it punctures? Does anyone have a opinion on this carpet replacement product off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-1970-Chevy-Impala-Carpet-2-Door-Automatic-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1968Q7cMakeQ3aChevr oletQ7cModelQ3aImpalaQQhashZitem5ada61c6cfQQitemZ3 90210897615QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories

I do know that the gas tank is leaking, when I moved the car to a dryer location I could smell gas really strong. I will get the car up on some jack stands and check under neith as much as possible.

The right rear tire is locked too so I imagine the drum brake back there has broken a spring or such. I will not know until I get a good can of PB Blast and dig into it.

Thanks again for the responses, I keep hearing make it a daily driver with some costmetic help (MAACO) if the thing is not rusted out. I will see if it is rusted out when I get it in my garage.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 PM

Locked rear wheel could be brake pads seized to the drum from rusting, or a bad wheel bearing that has welded itsef to the axel (the axels unbolt from the rear end but it will be fun trying to get to the bolts if you can not turn the wheel as it has a hole in it to access the axel bolt heads).

Big Dave
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM

I agree with everyones advice. Only you can decide if sentimental value is worth the project time and money. None-the-less if you decide to part with it, (no pun intended) I would definitely try selling it complete to someone who dreams of restoring a '68, instead of cannibalizing it...

' 61 Impala Sports Coupe
Visit my blog:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2764
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to medisalle
Kevin: no experience with that vendor, but the price for that MOLDED carpet is decent. Some sell cut & sewn carpet - the ones (like this) that are molded to the shape of the original floor fit and look better. Ask if it comes with the dimmer grommet already cut out or not - and if it's one piece, or two. (which shouldn't matter). I paid about $129 for carpet last time i bought it. You CAN find it cheaper - but usually you get what you pay for.

'63 Impala Sedan
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Heartofthacity
Restore it!!

Man restore that car or send it this way The fastbacks are just soo right man!! Take your time and bring her back to life, I bet you'll be glad you did (and your family probably will be too)... Just my 2 cents lol. [email protected] me if you need parts
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm with keeping it. A new car you drive off the lot depreciates let's say 10 grand. So you have 30 thousand dollar car only worth 20. You got the car for free and a simple resto to get running and safe will cost, say around 10g's. In reality the only thing worth its weight is gold. If someone wants it they will pay for it, no matter the price. So drive it. Enjoy it. Hell maybe it will be worth a lot more 10, 20 years down the line and can get ur money back. That's what I am hoping for. If not I had a damn good time drivin it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Think of it this way. The car is not a depreciating assest and if you put little bits of money in slowly you will get an enjoyable and rare cruiser that looks amazing and will be there to sell should you ever need the money
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:20 PM

1968 saga goes on

My son and I are restoring a 68 2 door fast back, we are doing it because we love the body style. Yes they are large, not really fast unless modified, kind of heavy. I personally believe that they are more appealing than a 65, 66, or 67 but thats just me. Any car like you have shown in the picture is worth keeping from the crusher, get it running drive it around with a for sale sign and see what you get, you may really like it. I am just waiting for the day that they make a one piece quarterpanel for the 68's that would be complete bliss.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 PM

68 Fastback owner, Definitely not a investment...but they do turn heads and about 1 in 5 people ask me what year my Chevelle is......The Fastback is defintely more appealing than the custom, but mine was solid and a 307 car. Now a 427, TH350, Ford 9 inch, Haven't started the body and I'm in it at $17500, and I did everything myself. If its not a passion just get her running good and use it on weekends. Unrestored cars get lots of attention at car shows....mine still does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page