Build Sheet Location on a 1966 Impala - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Build Sheet Location on a 1966 Impala

Hey Everybody!

Does anybody have a 1966 Impala that has found the build sheet? Where is the most common places to find the build sheet for a 1966?

Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 AM

Most of the time they are under the front seat between the foam and spring's,or in the rear seat lean back between the springs and foam.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Junior! I'll look there first.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 PM

They also stuffed them in the doors between the door panel and the weather proofing waxed paper; under the trunk on top of the gas tank, and up under the dash.

Remember there was more than one build sheet, each station had access to them as it rolled down the line and they removed them to verify the correct parts were installed and then discarded them wherever they would have to expend the least amount of work without littering their work station. There have been upwards of five build sheets found on a single vehicle; but it could contain none. Depends upon how lazy the worker was and strict his supervisor about trash as to were he stashed it.

Build sheets were an assembly tool to speed production while assuring accuracy; not documentation destined for authentication decades in the future.

Big Dave
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
They also stuffed them in the doors between the door panel and the weather proofing waxed paper; under the trunk on top of the gas tank, and up under the dash.

Foregot about those places.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

wow, it sounds like I would have to do some serious dismantling to find the build sheet. At least I have all of the original documentation including the Protecto Plate.

I really wanted to find the build sheet so I could frame it and hang it on the wall along with my other old car stuff.

Oh well!!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM

I haven't found my build sheet yet either and I have most of those items out of the car but I do have the original bill of sale and the pop for it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Just to add another: I found partial ones in the seats and behind a rear arm rest. The only complete one I have, although damaged, was between the carpet and the floor sound deadening on the passenger side.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 PM

I have a 1966 Belair, four door sedan, 250, powerglide, 12 bolt w/four link, Canadian built and untouched. When I removed the front and rear seats for new skins, I found the built sheets attached with one hog ring to the bottom seat springs on front and rear. The build sheets (more like built strips) are just a plain piece of paper, about 1 1/4" wide and about 9" long and has only the codes typed on it ... not a form type in full sheet size like I have seen in later GM's and Mopars. But that is how Canada did it ... body color firewall and entire trunk area too.

Art
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM

Every plant did things differently. My '65 was built in Arlington, TX and the build sheet is just that -----pretty much a full sheet of paper with option boxes at the top where the stations checked things off and typed options with codes at the bottom.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Michael9040, where did you find your build sheet? My '66 was born in Arlington, Texas.

Thanks!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM

From what I've read by Warren the 'tag guru', different plants did put them in specific places but there's no guarantee your car has one. The more options the car has the better chance it has/had one. Doraville GA cars like mine had them stuffed in the front seat backs. Unfortunately the one I found was too far gone to salvage. I haven't looked behind the back door panels yet.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM

Build sheets:

Top two locations: Under drivers seat attached within springs, behind the driver's side of back seat on back rest attached within springs. Most commonly found build sheets are from the Wilmington Del plant.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 10:21 PM

I have found all of my Build Sheets tucked in the springs under the Bottom part of the Rear Seat. Altho I have also heard most of the other places mentioned above. But most of the cars I have taken apart or checked had no Build Sheets.

Bill
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Snafoo
It was between the carpet and the sound deadener mat on the passenger side floor. Good Luck!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi guys I have a 66 ss impala and am looking for my build sheets its built in southgate california does any one know where I would find it thanks

Mark from Australia
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Ape
Lifetime Premium Member

Aren't some found on top of the gas tank too?

Ape Out.

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Impala Custom
Year: 1969
Doors: 2
Engine: 327 V8
Trans: Powerglide
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape View Post
Aren't some found on top of the gas tank too?

Ape Out.
Only if you had a larger than stock tank installed such as installed with a gas gulping big block. Stock parts didn't generate a build sheet only an option different from stock.

Big Dave
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Big Dave, why not use for documentation? Sounds like another personal opinion. Build sheets are always used in companion with original window stickers, dealer invoice sheets, etc.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 AM

You can use them for documentation if you can find them. The point being, not every car has a build sheet in it. It was trash used by bean counters at the assembly plant to control inventory. It was nothing more than a coded set of instruction that told a worker what part to pick up and bolt onto the car that was in front of him while he was talking to his neighbor about a base ball game or when they would next get together to go bowling.

Once the parts was bolted onto the car the build sheet became trash he was suposed to throw it away; not stuffit in the car. It was just often more convient for a lazy auto worker to stuff it in the car than to walk three feet to the trash can sometimes.

I have found partial build sheets in many strange places lightening cars to strip them of excess weight before turning them into race cars (though never one above a gas tank which I often remove all together in favor of a lighter fuel cell mounted in a hole I cut in the trunck floor). Most of them have been under the dash stuffed in the wiring of cars with stereo radios and A/C. Found one under a factory console.

Big Dave
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 PM

I found 3 build sheets in my 66 SS. One in each of the front seats, between the cushion and springs, as well as one in the back bench stuffed in the seat springs.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 AM

I found mine stuck in the springs in the lower back seat.

Several of the items listed definitely do not match the car (Powerglide, body color, others) so I'm not sure what value this has, other than as a historic artifact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page