Title vin - Impala Tech
Restoration Corner Aimed at Originality

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Title vin

i PURCHASED A 66 2DR iMPALA FROM A FAMILY MEMBER LAST YEAR WITH THE IDEA OF RESTORING IT LATER I FOUND A BETTER PROSPECT SO i TRIED TO SELL AND FOUND THAT THE VIN TITLE AND THE VIN ON THE CAR DID NOT MATCH. SO THE TITLE WAS FROM VA. AND I CONTACTED THE MVA TO SEE WHAT WAS NEEDED TO BE DONE TO CORRECT THIS ISSUE. I WAS TOLD ALL WAS NEEDED WAS TO HAVE A POLICE OFFICER VALIDATE THE VIN ON THE CAR AND i COULD GET A NEW TITLE. ONCE THAT WAS DONE I RAN INTO A NOTHER ISSUE THE VIN ON THE CAR DID NOT GO WITH THE CAR SOMEONE HAD CHANGED THE VIN. NOW I AM IN A MESS AND I WAS HOPING THAT SOME IN THIS FORUM COULD SET ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO GETTING THIS ISSUE RESOLVED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Please turn off your CAPS LOCK. It is really hard to read, it hurts my smallish brain.

You are definetly in a pickle if someone has swapped your VIN tag.
First lets try to determine what you own vs what you have. I don't have enough information to determine what is really the issue.

It will help if you post the VIN from the title and from the car so we can try and help you determine what you really have.
The last resort will be to try and find the partial VIN from on the frame to see what car you really have.

It seems odd that you would have a title, car, and VIN that are all three different. Even if someone switched VIN tag you would think they would have the title to match if not then what it the objective?

Post a picture of your VIN tag and cowl tag so we can see if they have been switched.

Good luck.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Welcome to the Team V!

Since the cop didn't impound the car as stolen when he ran the VIN. You are now the proud owner of a parts car. It is worth more dead as pile of parts than you could get for it fully restored anyway So my suggestion would be to blow it apart and set up your e-Bay account. Just be aware that UPS is the shipper for e-Bay which means you can not sell anything heavier than 75 pounds or bigger around than the string in the drivers pocket. This is why most cars are sold on Craig's list.

By the way had you lived in Florida you wouldn't have the car to worry about. Any alerted VIN's discovered in our state sends the car to be crushed; unless it is proven to be stolen then it is returned to the registered owner.

Big Dave

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM

As Fossil stated. There are other places on the car that the VIN is located. You may have the correct title or maybe not.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Vin #

Here is all the info on the VIN. I hope Fossil_Fuel that you can help. I really don't want to go Big Dave's way if I don't have to I have time to get this correct if there is a way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 2 dr.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2430   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE VIN.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2431   Click image for larger version

Name:	vin #.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2432   Click image for larger version

Name:	title vin #.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2433  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM

OK good the pictures will help,

"I RAN INTO A NOTHER ISSUE THE VIN ON THE CAR DID NOT GO WITH THE CAR SOMEONE HAD CHANGED THE VIN"

Why do you say that the VIN has been switched? The rivets look original to me (given the pictures so far).

I need to understand the reasons behind this assumption.

The one issue I see is that the last 3 digits of your title do not match the VIN.

Here is what we need to do first.

I think Warren can use his data base to check your body number on your cowl tag and match it up with your sequnce number on your VIN to see if it falls in line. These two numbrs are NOT the same but they are related. Also need to verify that the final assembly plant from your VIN is correct for the body assembly plant (which I cant read). This would help verify that the cowl tag and Vin tag are a match.

But I cant fully read your Cowl tag body number. Is it BA14512?

We need to get the VIN tag swapped issue out of the way first. That is the biggest issue facin you. If this can be eliminated then you just have a incorrect title which can be addressed.

I sent a message to Warren (TAR6569) so he should stop by here to help you.

Big Dave : You might want to move this to the "Tag Team" thread for better visibility

Last edited by Fossil_Fuel; 04-24-2012 at 12:52 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to TAR6569
I check and it lines up fine. If that car has the original rear armrest panels, you may want to take them off and check for a build sheet. That would most likely have the original vin on it.

It is odd that the last three on the title don't match the vin tag. Usually it's just one digit. Both tags look fine to me.

Warren
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM

Based on Warrens review he confirms my conclusion that the VIN tag AND the cowl tag match each other. Furthermore they both seem to be original to the car.

You could verify this by finding the build sheet or finding the hidden VIN but this really should not be necessary.

What you have is a mistake on the title (probably from long ago). It would be a very low probability that someone found the same style car, Built at the same manufacturing plant, that was built 391 cars away (thats built the same week) and used this title to title that car.

The state can run the correct VIN (the one on the car) to make sure its not stolen or titled. After that you should be able to apply for an amended title to fix the mistake.

Call your DMV and explain the mistake to them an see what they say.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM

When I bought my 70 GTO convert in NC and carried it back to Texas they said the vin# was wrong. They asked me to go pencil over it and bring it back in. I did and she said yep still wrong. I asked what was wrong and she said one number is wrong. She was reading out of a vin book. I asked her if I could look at it and she showed me. They had mistakenly put a 9 in place of a B. I showed her it had to be a letter and she looked confused. So I explained to her how to read a vin number and what they all meant. I convinced her and she asks have you got a few extra minutes? I said sure. She then calls 6 or 8 other ladies away from their windows and has me give a class on how to read a vin and what all the characters mean. I got a few angry stares on the way out from those people left waiting for the class to conclude.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 AM

As Dave indicated above, I highly doubt you will EVER be able to title/license the car again in any state... Consider it a "parts car" for your new "better prospect"... (For the last 15-20 years the Kansas Highway Patrol has performed a physical VIN/Title inspection on EVERY out of state motor vehicle requesting issuance of a Kansas title for this exact reason.)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM

You guys need to remember that all the sates are different and you are giving advice based on some of the most restrictive states (like Kansas and Florida and California).
If it has a VIN that has not been altered and it comes up clean (not stolen) a law abiding citizen could get that particular car titled very easily in many sates including mine.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM

As afr as that goes even stolen cars can be titled in Alabama and Mississippi but it doesn't mean another state will accept that title (because of the fact that they don't care).

Big Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, I am putting this project on hold until I can devote some time to correct this issue.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Fossil, that is what I was thinking at first but this friend of a friend is telling me that I have to wait for a VIN inspection but it has been a long while. Trying to get someone in the VA DMV to actually talk to is almost impossible and if I do finally get someone they don’t have a clue. That is why I the friend of a friend try but he seems to be dragging his feet also. I will try to contact the VA DMV once more and see where it gets me. Thanks for all your help. I think I will put this to the side and just enjoy my latest project a 1967 Impala SS with a 396 BB motor. Just had it painted and starting to put the chrome back on it. Thanks once more for your advice. V out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page