1968 Impala Convertible Top Replacement - Impala Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

1968 Impala Convertible Top Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to replace the top on my Impala as it is worn out and damaged. My back window is vinyl and it is completely caked up and has zero visibility. I would like to replace one with a glass window to prevent this from happening again over the years. I found this one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impala-Capri...ht_5743wt_1363

Is the price ok?

I would like to have the top installed here in Turkey. There is a shop that specializes in classic cars and they have previously helped me with other issues. They also have reasonable prices. They will install the top for 130 dollars. My question is how much does a top installation usually run back in the states?

Also currently the seal between the side window and the weather strip is not good. There is a noticeable gap and when it rains, water usually comes in. Would it be possible to fix this during the top swap? adjust the frame maybe?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:35 PM
BA.

I'm not really educated on these enough to know for sure but the price does seem ok to me.

I do want to mention though, that this is a vinyl top as the original was.
I think it's a worthwhile consideration to consider a newer-material top where they make it out of more of a thick fabric-like material. I forget what it is called exactly but it isn't shiney like the vinyl and thus also has a darker look on the black version. (which is what I have and why I'm biased) It does cost more than vinyl.

For an all original look, vinyl is of course the way to go.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFernandez305 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to replace the top on my Impala as it is worn out and damaged. My back window is vinyl and it is completely caked up and has zero visibility. I would like to replace one with a glass window to prevent this from happening again over the years. I found this one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impala-Capri...ht_5743wt_1363

Is the price ok?

I would like to have the top installed here in Turkey. There is a shop that specializes in classic cars and they have previously helped me with other issues. They also have reasonable prices. They will install the top for 130 dollars. My question is how much does a top installation usually run back in the states?

Also currently the seal between the side window and the weather strip is not good. There is a noticeable gap and when it rains, water usually comes in. Would it be possible to fix this during the top swap? adjust the frame maybe?

Thank you for your help.
Prices in the USA are not equal everywhere. Where I live in Virginia (just outside of Washington, DC), $130 will buy one hour of labor at many automotive shops. So, don't have it done where I live.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:34 PM

That is a fair price for the top and all of them in that price range are good Quality.
I got my last top done for $500 which was a heck of a good deal. Some places want $2000 labor. Once the top is off a good guy should be able to adjust the top for proper window clearance very easily.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the reply. I think it settles I will take advantage of the labor here in Turkey. @BA. I think I know what material you are referring to. Is is the nice dark looking one that almost looks like cloth? A lot new European convertibles have it. I went on eBay and saw that they offered something called stayfast canvas and I think it might be that here is the link.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Impala-Caprice....c100408.m2460

What do you think? Is this the one you are referring to?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 09:12 AM
BA.

Yes Jon, that is exactly what I was trying to refer to! Looks great on the car too.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
convertible, frame adjustment, vinyl top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page