Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Deadwolf
  • 1 Post By BA.
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Need input please

I have a 66 impala ss vert with a numbers match 396/325, TH 400 trans, working factory AC, console gauge package, working AM radio. The car shows 163,000 milage and is original. The choke even works on the Rochester quadrojet! it is the metallic blue color with blue interior and a white top. The top could probably be replaced and there are a few chips and scratches in the paint, but it shows well. I have had a new front end suspension, tie rods, ball joints, etc replaced. Have also redone everything in the brakes from the backing plates out. The brakes are power assist drum. I did install a dual bowl master cylinder for safety reasons. The car also has power steering and a new dash pad. The car runs great. I have had it for 3 years now but I have developed an eye condition which is taking away my vision. I have to sell the car and start preparing for the inevitable. I have priced the car at $42,500 or OBO. I need input from the group as to if I am out of the park with the pricing. Without making me bleed, I appreciate all input so I can be fair. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:16 PM

Price is in the eye of the buyer. He has to want it more than you do. I would show it weekly at Old Town in Kissimmee.

http://flacarshows.com/events/event/...uise/?date=May 19, 2018 1:00 pm&calendar=true

Here are the other Central Florida Car shows:

http://flacarshows.com/events/category/central-florida/

I choose Kissimmee because this is where the tourist congregate (People with discretionary cash in their pocket) that might be interested in buying your car on the spot and shipping it home.

You could try your luck at the auction house at 27 and I-4 but unlike the TV shows most of the buyers there are from South America and are buying toys for their dictator bosses, so price depends upon their bosses political favor back home.

I do feel for you as my brother in law suffers from macular degeneration and is now about blind (but it doesn't stop him from driving to work every day).

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave. I have Retinitis Pigmentosis, RP, which is a dying off of the blood vessels that feed the eye. Thought it may have been agent orange related but they say no. I appreciate the info. Take care of yourself and tell your brother in law to look twice!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:16 AM

Hagerty has the value listed at around $39500 for #3 Good condition and $26400 for #4 Fair condition.

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

Just for some additional references: Value for #2 $52600
#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

Value for #1 $77800
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

I find Hagerty to be a good place to start pricing, but they can't price in emotional value.
benigs likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 AM
BA.

That car sounds nice with those colors and it's original motor/trans and factory A/C. Good stuff. I would have guessed the mid-30's as top value but my opinion is worth what you pay for it and of course I haven't seen it in person.
I like to use Hagerty as a generic valuation tool also. But, I do the same by perusing Classic Car websites and Ebay. General ball-parks.

Good luck with the sale, sorry to hear it has to go.
benigs likes this.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:55 AM

In addition to emotional attachment there is the issue of supply and demand. Many international tourists with more money than sense travel to visit Mickey in Kissimmee (aka Orlando). They have the money to not only buy your car as seen on the spot, but to ship it overseas. This board has more international members than any of the other Team boards because people overseas think of the Impala/Caprice as the pinnacle of the "American status" of a big car. They want them but there are none to buy in Europe or Australia/New Zealand (where we have a bunch of members; as well as the Gulf states in the middle east though they have a harder time visiting mouse world).

Big Dave
benigs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page