67 convertible top wiring - Impala Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

67 convertible top wiring

I have a wiring diagram but am not sure where power is coming from on my convertible top switch. There is an orange wire coming out of the switch going up behind the gauge cluster somewhere. I'm sure that is power but I don't know if it is connected to a relay or something else. On the diagram it shows a kind of block but it doesn't say relay and it doesn't look like a relay symbol.

Anyone familiar with this? I'm sure it is similar on other years.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Team Member

The orange wire will run through your firewall and connect to a 30 amp breaker mounted to the firewall. You may not be able to see the orange color of the wire inside of the engine compartment due to paint, grease, etc. This is how it is wired on my 68. Don't think it would be any different for a 67.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
The orange wire will run through your firewall and connect to a 30 amp breaker mounted to the firewall. You may not be able to see the orange color of the wire inside of the engine compartment due to paint, grease, etc. This is how it is wired on my 68. Don't think it would be any different for a 67.
You're right! I completely missed the black line for the firewall on the diagram. I chased that orange wire up until it appeared to go into the bundle of wires behind the gauge cluster and then assumed it was up there somewhere.

I don't have any wires coming out of the firewall. But someone had cleared out the engine compartment for painting and never finished putting stuff back. So I'm still sorting a lot of that out. At least now I know where it is supposed to go.

Thanks!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ImpalaSSConv View Post
I have a wiring diagram but am not sure where power is coming from on my convertible top switch. There is an orange wire coming out of the switch going up behind the gauge cluster somewhere. I'm sure that is power but I don't know if it is connected to a relay or something else. On the diagram it shows a kind of block but it doesn't say relay and it doesn't look like a relay symbol.

Anyone familiar with this? I'm sure it is similar on other years.

thanks!

My old eyes have no chance of following the diagram you posted

Attached is from the '61 shop manual and even I can follow it. I'm providing it simply for info because I do not know if your car is the same. The circuit shown is simple and allows the top to be raised/lowered w/o engine running. Power comes directly from battery which is how I remember my 'almost new' '63 convertible (purchased in '68) operated. Perhaps your car operates on the same concept.

It IS applicable to '63 (at least). My '63 has a 40 amp circuit breaker located behind the drivers side kick panel. It is not labeled but is shown on the diagram.

here's a pic of mine too:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv top wiring.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	22668   Click image for larger version

Name:	connv top circuit breaker .jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	22670  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
My old eyes have no chance of following the diagram you posted

Attached is from the '61 shop manual and even I can follow it. I'm providing it simply for info because I do not know if your car is the same. The circuit shown is simple and allows the top to be raised/lowered w/o engine running. Power comes directly from battery which is how I remember my 'almost new' '63 convertible (purchased in '68) operated. Perhaps your car operates on the same concept.

It IS applicable to '63 (at least). My '63 has a 40 amp circuit breaker located behind the drivers side kick panel. It is not labeled but is shown on the diagram.

here's a pic of mine too:

Yes mine is very similar. Turns out it is a lot simpler than I thought.

At first I was very confused because of some weird looking control box back there screwed to the convertible well wall. I thought it was some kind of motor controller for the top. Turns out it was a reverb unit for the radio! I've never even seen one of those. Don't think I'll be needing that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page