67 convertible tack strip question - Impala Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

67 convertible tack strip question

Well we don't get much convertible action on this site, but figured I'd try my luck here. Posted on another forum as well.

While I'm at it, who here does have a 67 vert? I know of one or two guys on the other forum, but one has not been online much lately. The other guy I don't think has been working on his top yet so probably doesn't have all the answers to my questions!!

Anyway, when I bought this project car, it came with a new rear tack strips, sometimes called trim sticks.

The short extension pieces it came with do not seem correct. They are curved too much and also have 3 holes. There are only 2 holes in my car body and it curves back towards the outside instead of down like these strips.

My strips came as the 3 piece set and seem identical to this set for sale. The long rear strip fits and all holes match perfectly. It also had a tag that said 67-68 Impala attached to it. So I'm either missing something or there is a variation on the 67 that isn't accounted for on this set for sale, or the set I have.

Wondering if anyone has any idea here? I might be able to bend these back and drill another hole to match my 2nd hole on the body. But I'm also curious what I am missing before I do any cutting and bending.

https://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...1967-1968.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Team Member

I'll take some pics of my '68 and post them. I'd like to replace these on mine, so I'm curious about your fitment issues.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I need to get a picture of my mounting holes on the car. Maybe I’m laying the strip on there wrong. But I don’t think there’s too many ways to do it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
I'll take some pics of my '68 and post them. I'd like to replace these on mine, so I'm curious about your fitment issues.
Come to think of it, I bet your 68 uses these bent tack strips. The website ways it is for a 67-68 and I'm pretty sure it uses the same top also. There is probably just a slight difference in the shape of the body right there.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Team Member

OK I'm not sure if these are pics of the right parts. I thought we were talking about the trim around the convertible top well? It looks like only 2 pieces on my car. I've never been able to figure out how to get these off either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_200405_1572029681910.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	22768   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_200411_1572029696193.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	22770  

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
OK I'm not sure if these are pics of the right parts. I thought we were talking about the trim around the convertible top well? It looks like only 2 pieces on my car. I've never been able to figure out how to get these off either.
I think those are called the snap well trim.

The pieces I am dealing with bolt under that inside the well. It is not visible unless you lift up the well liner. There are 3 pieces, 1 big curved/straight piece on the back and the 2 small pieces on the sides.

If you ever replace your top you'll have to deal with those.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 03:50 PM
BA.

Tough issue.
Mine is a '66 and I had a local experienced shop do my new top so I'm not much help here. :-/ Sorry.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Tough issue.
Mine is a '66 and I had a local experienced shop do my new top so I'm not much help here. :-/ Sorry.
I figured out I just needed to drill another hole and bend the tack strip to fit the inside of my well. It was pretty easy.

Now with the adjustments and wrinkles!

I didn't have an old top to use as a pattern. You did a good thing taking it to a pro. I kind of wish I had. But I don't mind the learning experience and I'm not in a big hurry..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page