1970 Convertable electric conversion kits?? - Impala Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

1970 Convertable electric conversion kits??

Are there any kits to convert the hydraulic set up to an all electric set up? one of my cylinders went bad and before i fork over the money to fit it i would like to know if there is such a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM

I have never heard of anything like that. It would require gear motors and transmissions to work which are bulky and heavy not to mention much more expensive than a hydraulic pump and two slave cylinders.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Oh well if they don't make it. But more expensive? All you need is a DC motor and a threaded rod atached to the motor. Once the threaded rod spins it raises and lowers the top. This is used on campers all the time. There is already a motor, you just eliminate the the hydraulics.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronacj View Post
Oh well if they don't make it. But more expensive? All you need is a DC motor and a threaded rod atached to the motor. Once the threaded rod spins it raises and lowers the top. This is used on campers all the time. There is already a motor, you just eliminate the the hydraulics.
Threaded rod is called an ACME screw (just like the ones the Coyote used to order. The motor has to have high torque (something small electric motors are not famous for, so it compensates by attaching the motor to a transmission full of gears to multiply the torque. Costs money to cut gears and assemble a transmission. A hydraulic pump is a round knob with four to seven flat vanes stuck in machined slots and that spins in a cavity that has two holes drilled in it (an entry port and an exit port). Motor spins and supplies pressure over another tube with a big piston. The difference in size between the vane area and the piston area multiplies the force to lift the top. The bigger the piston the longer it takes to raise the top but the more force it generates to move the top up.

Hydraulic lines are flexible. More so than the wires used to feed an electric motor attached to a screw by way of a transmission. The motor has to move along with the top following the same path that the hydraulic cylinder does. There has to be room for the motor at both the top down and the top up position and along the arc that it swings through. The factory had that option available to it when they designed the system and hydraulic is the second cheapest solution (cheapest would be like on the Corvair, Chevy II and Corvettes of this time period which could also be had hand operated, with power being a more expensive option).

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 AM

I agree with Big Dave on this one, There's nothing wrong with the hydraulic system, it's served on this car for like 40 years and now needs some service. Hydraulics really are not bad, think of all the bulldozes, dump trucks, and all the other heavy equipment out there that basically use a similar system. I don't see many people rushing out to retrofit their hydraulic brakes to somthing else. GM still uses hydraulics on the moveable roof systems today, ie; Vettes, XLR's, etc... Get a service manual and get her fixed up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page