x frame - Impala Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

x frame

Hey guys I am new and just wanted to say great site! I am somewhat new to this car and doing a frame off resto for a friend of mine. Things have been going well until now. The car is a 1964 impala convertible. The frame is rotted and slightly bent. We have located a 1964 biscayne 4 door which has an excellent frame under it. It seems the convertible frame was reinforced with thick steel top and bottom from the firewall to the rear wheel arch area. The frame on the biscayne does not have these plates. It seems since this is a convertible that those plates are nessasary. Is the biscayne frame the same other than the plates. If it will fit then I will take the plates off the rotted frame and reweld them on the biscayne frame. Does this sound like the way to go? I doubt im going to be able to find a clean convertible frame anywhere. Thanks guys!

Last edited by unlimited1320; 11-19-2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 PM

Welcome to the board. If you have both frames available try it and see. I think it will work as long as it is reinforced like old one.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:44 AM

Hey my first post. The 4 door and any 2 door frame will work but on the convertible frame besides the extra steel plating you mentioned, there is also 4 extra body mounts that hold the floor braces to the frame.
There are two coming off the frame towards about midway about where the front seat sits and two more that mounts to the brace that runs from side to side directly under where the rear seat sits.

You can carefully cut them off the bad frame and weld them onto the donor frame as long as they are not rusted out. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

thats for the info guys. I am going to get the biscayne frame and plate the top and bottom with 3/8" steel like the convertible frame. As well as smooth everything and fill all the holes. Ill use the extra mounts from the bad frame and weld them on the new frame. Thanks again.

Last edited by unlimited1320; 11-20-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited1320 View Post
thats for the info guys. I am going to get the biscayne frame and plate the top and bottom with 3/8" steel like the convertible frame. As well as smooth everything and fill all the holes. Ill use the extra mounts from the bad frame and weld them on the new frame. Thanks again.
I'm not sure, but you may want to look into boxing instead of adding the extra plating. Boxing frames has proven to be a way to really strengthen a frame and you might get an even stiffer frame by boxing compared to just adding reinforcement. It also gives a frome more of a hot rod look! If you do it right you could even see about running brake lines and electrical lines on the inside of the box frame for an even cleaner look. Something I have though about also was using a boxed frame as an exhaust. Would be really unique, but I am not sure how the front interface would work since it would have to be flexible enough to deal with motor twist!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Welcome to the board Lance!

Yes you can reinforce a convertible frame so that the car will not break in half when you open the doors (on the sedans the roof acts as an arch to reinforce the frame), but it will require good welds with good metal (on the patch and on the old frame). Like Dave says it would be stronger to make it a solid piece by boxing it in. I would use the same thickness of steel plate to reinforce everything.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page