Impala Tech - Comments
  1. Old Comment

Quick Update

You can fairly easily see the darker yellow spots on the yellow primer which are all low spots.
    Quite a few of them eh? I've since put on a few more coats.
  2. Old Comment

Quick Update

few more pics....

3. Old Comment

Stuff I have no business doing. LOL

Allan,

The company called CARS, do they have a website?
    and I assume they sell partial quarter panels. or did you fab that fender lip?
  4. Old Comment

Bodywork begins!!

That's my fault Brad, I said Summit but I think it was actually Eastwood Co.
    I had bought "Fast Etch", it has the Zinc-Phosphate.
    http://www.eastwood.com/ew-fast-etch-1-gallon.html
    Also sold in 20oz size.

On the Impala I also tried "Safest Rust Remover" from Year One. It's $25/gal but it is also like water and goes a long way, and is re-useable and bio-degradable. I don't know what is in it.
    This stuff did what I needed it to on the Impala - it let the car sit in my garage for months in bare metal with no major rust starting. Of course we did hit the car with a grinder again before spraying the primer.

I see Summit has something that may be similar to SafestRustRemover that is called Evapo-Rust. Neither say they have Zinc Phosphate though....not sure what that means in the end. Maybe times are progressing.

There's a nice discussion on the topic here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...d.php?p=263315.
    Looks like PPG and Dupont have a 2 Step method for bare metal which does leave a zinc-phosphate coating. Products are listed in link above, and available at NAPA and other places.
  5. Old Comment

Bodywork begins!!

Allan,

I went on to Summit site and cannot find a product that goes on clear like yours that suggests zinc phosphate is in it.
    Could you elaborate on that?

Brad
  6. Old Comment

From Bare Metal to Primer

Thats pretty close. I did haul the car to my buddies garage for the epoxy primer and bodywork that we are doing. (pretty much our first/second time ever)

We're still in bodywork phase. More pics sometime this weekend.
    After some more light filler, I'll spray with some 2k Polyester primer, then Final Coat with Hot Rod Black I think. Low Buck, Low Budget, Low Bling.

I'm undecided on tires for this one, I had the Firestone Indy's on the Gold one. (sold it). Had white letters inside on that one. Nice fat blackwalls on the outside.
    On thsi car I'll have some 17" or 18" or something with a little smaller sidewall,....just not rubber-band tires. I hate a too-short side-wall.
  7. Old Comment

Allan,

I believe you said you sent the car for paint.
    what color did you decide on?
    the firestone tires, are you putting letters out?
    I need a visual, dont want to wait.

p.s. its to darn cold to be outside with a d.a. (lol)
  8. Old Comment

brother. u get up this way stop by.

watchin some new past time on t.v. had to check in.
    your welds look good to me. love the pics. super job on that wheel lip.
    i just finished the underneath the 3/4 ton P.U. (doing some painting) took the slicks off the 65' and going to get it on the lift next. but first pull the motor.
    just bought a set of brodix race rite heads. (ah-ah-ah).
    im going to change cams (i.e. to big of cam right now.)
    tell u more later.
    shaz-bot na-nu na-nu.
    Brad
  9. Old Comment

Hey Brad,
    Sorry man, I don't recall seeing or getting anything previously. Like you said, perhaps it got lost in cyber-space! lol.

My mom was on dial-up for the longest time and WOW, I really hated using it! Finally got her to upgrade to some higher speed stuff recently.

I didn't post a lot of pics on my blog, but as you can see I had cut a small piece off of a larger front quarter-panel patch and then I flanged it and the original panel to fit it into place for the FRONT of my wheel lip.
    Then on the rear quarter, I unfortunately got ahold of a crap patch panel from a vendor starting with 'L' that was not a great fit. I had to cut off the back few inches.
    A friend and I then flanged the rear quarter patch panel, and the original upper quarter-panel piece just below the bodyline. We held it in place with wide-mouth vise-grips and then tacked it into place.
    I used a chrome wheel-lip molding piece to help me figure out the right front/rear positioning of the patch.
    I've got more pics if you want them. Let me know!

PS. the company CARS makes a nice patch-panel.

Mindy McConnell: Mork, why are you building a tower of Cheerios?
    Mork: Because it's hard to stack oatmeal.
  10. Old Comment

Stretching my build skills....

Hey Brad,

I've used chemical strippers before and ya know,....I don't really like them much. I found it messy, a bit of a hassle and a little inconsistent on multiple layers of paint.

My friends and I used DA sanders. (both air and electric)
    I really kind of enjoyed it. There's pics in one of these other blog sections I have. I think it's named "Bodywork Begins".
    I think your concern about strippers' effect on any filler is valid, but on my car it was obvious that the work was VERY VERY sloppy. I knew I wanted it all off to start over and do it 'right'. As right as I can anyway.
  11. Old Comment

Stretching my build skills....

Allan,

did you use an aircraft paint stripper to remove the paint down to the bare metal. and if so, was you worried about softening any of the previous bodywork filler that may have been ok.

thanks Brad
  12. Old Comment

hi Allan,

ive heard u guys talk about lurkers, and me being new to the internet. i didnt know what that meant. well now i do. i just stay outside learning as much as possible. and for 2 years i have had dial-up internet. which i dont know if you have had any experience with, but ( well to keep this short, sucks ) down and uploading is virtually impossible. well now i have road runner, and wow what a diff. anyway i asked you a question a while back about how you repaired your rear quarter ( i.e. fender lip ) and you never responded. probably got lost in dial-up internet space. lol (laugh out loud) i know what that means.lol
    well here are the pics ive been looking for. i think this year im going to try to tackle some of the bodywork on mine.(which has alot of the same problems your 66' has.
    keep up the good blog. ill be lurking, i mean looking.

shaz-bot na-nu na-nu

Brad

P.S. this might be more of a private message. hell who cares.
  13. Old Comment

Few More......

14. Old Comment
  15. Old Comment

more pics!

Three More....they make my work look better than it is. I'll still need a skim of bondo over all the weld area's.

16. Old Comment
  17. Old Comment

Underneath that quarterpanel bondo!

Thanks guys,
    Sorry for the late reply Darrin, I somehow had missed these comments.

I DID end up cleaning up the gold car and it's chrome,......so that I could sell it and afford an LS7 motor for my 69 RS Camaro.
    I think it went to a good family home, and it will probably receive a little body work and fresh paint job from the new owner.
  18. Old Comment

Its looking good, keep up the ggod work!
  19. Old Comment

Lookin' good, I've stripped things down and not been near as lucky as far as what was under the paint / bondo. The '69 Chevelle SS that I had years ago actually had a piece of vinyl siding under a layer of filler on the 1/4 panel, HAHAHA! Hey, how is the "other" convert doing? Have you cleaned up the chrome yet?
    Later,
    Darrin
  20. Old Comment

A couple more pics!

LOOKS LIKE THE CLUTCH REPLACEMENT IS A-OK!!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome