Impalas.net banner

T5 trans

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Deadwolf 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Just picked up a 62 2 door hard top. It’s already dismantled for a a frame off resto. Comes with a PG but would like to change over to a 5 speed and thinking of using a T5 (this is just gonna be a budget cruiser when done). Anyone use this trans and did you use a Camaro, Fox Body Stang, or S10 trans. In this application do the Camero/Fox trans shifters end up to far back for the bench seat? Starting with the frame soon and need to know which one to shop for, for moch up.

Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the Team!

I would advise against the T-5. Borg-Warner developed the T-5 for the Ford Pinto (Mustang II) economy car. It was a light weight transmission, without bearings, because it was being powered by a four cylinder in a fly weight car.

GM had the transmission redesigned to accept ball bearings and called a world class transmission. Only problem is the parts were still undersized to handle any torque. A 305 in a small 3,087 pound third gen Camaro broke the transmission so frequently (a 302 in the case of the Fox body Mustang) that they dropped it after the third year due to warranty claims costing them a fortune.

In a heavier (3,894 pound) 1962 Impala, with any power at all it will break every time you apply power.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Agree, the T5 just doesn't seem worth the hassle to me. It breaks if you look at it funny.

I'd vote for a rebuilt Muncie for most cruisers. Or one of the aftermarket 5 speeds if you have to have an overdrive gear.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Switching to a manual is a great decision.

Personally, I'd recommend a Muncie 4 speed. Fits right in. The car was designed for it. No frame changes, no tunnel changes, and the interior configuration was made for it. Looks/fits great with a bench seat. Parts are readily available.

Autogear sells a new 'Muncie' 4 speed in many available gear combinations. It has a new reinforced aluminum case and new internals. I have their M22W ('rock crusher' gears in wide ratio form) in my '63 Impala. I drive it a lot but not too much on the freeway. I can easily go 65-70 mph ( the car will go faster, I choose not to). An overdrive will save on freeway gas, but it would take YEARS to recoup the investment.

Here's a link to one source for parts and tech advise:

https://www.4speedconversions.com

And a link to an Autogear authorized vendor:

5Speeds Transmission Home Page

Both are NOT 'plugs', simply info.

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete

#5 ·
See if you can find a 93-96 F body T56. 6 speeds. Standard gen 1 SBC bellhousing. 1-4 is a regular muscle car box. 4th is 1-1. 5th is an around town OD (0.7 on the 94-96), and 6th is a great highway cruising 0.5 that allows you to run some serious gears out back. I have this trans in my Impala SS, combined with 4.10s. Amazing acceleration, barely over 2000rpm at 65mph. Also, the 94-6 version is rated at 450ft-lbs. Hydraulic clutch, so no worries about the linkage. You can get it brand new, or rebuilt if you want, and then you can order the ratios you want, too. I went with used, and it has been fine for 15 years.

#6 ·
T-56 requires the tunnel to be modified and a factory center console may not work without more custom fabrication. The richmond 5 speed is the best option for a cruiser as the floor does not need modified and it has overdrive. The shifter plate cover that bolts to the floor pan, actually looks like part of the floor pan, may need minor modifications. The transmission cross member will need moved as well. It however is the most expensive brand new. The muncie 4 speed would work well if you selected your rear gear for your intended driving. Highway driving a 3.08 would probably work well. If you want to drive around town and do a burn out or two with an occasional trip on the highway, a 3.40 would be the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.