Impala Tech

Impala Tech (https://www.impalas.net/forums/)
-   Electrical & Wiring (https://www.impalas.net/forums/16-electrical-wiring/)
-   -   1966 Impala Ignition Switch (https://www.impalas.net/forums/16-electrical-wiring/37760-1966-impala-ignition-switch.html)

lndbarron 04-25-2019 10:29 PM

1966 Impala Ignition Switch

2 Attachment(s)
I need some help to confirm the serviceability of my ignition switch. How many positions should be on switch i.e accessory key completely left. Off straight up and down. Run key completely right. My switch has a position in between off and accessory is this correct?
I have been having trouble keeping battery charged I sense the ignition switch is not completely shutting off. How can I determine if the switch is completely turning off? By the way all lights and gauges turn off.

Big Dave 04-26-2019 11:13 AM

Sounds defective (worn out) to me.

Big Dave

bigears 04-26-2019 07:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
That's interesting similar issue here however a 68 not 66 only found out on a flat battery.
There are four positions on the 68 and the off position is between ACC & ON is a hard find not a positive feel ..... :frown2:
Now as pointed out by Big Dave (worn out) I know mine is the original key tells the story and the fact
the complete barrel comes out when in the ACC position :surprise: that however ended up a bonus as the key number is on
the back of the barrel. That enabled the key cutting shop to produce a key that worked previous attempts off the
original failed. So until I need or find a vendor for replacement ignitions I found a switch on the battery a big help
be a pain if driven daily but works for me ........ :smile2:

marsmann 04-28-2019 10:14 PM

If I understood these posts correctly, is there a chance that your 66 was retrofitted with a 68 style switch? The 66, as you know, has three positions only. Off, On, Start. If your switch is original or the correct part for your 66, then it is most likely defective and the 'in-between' setting is making contact with the start circuit, thereby consuming battery or causing a parasitic type drain.

Darth 04-29-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsmann (Post 223826)
The 66, as you know, has three positions only. Off, On, Start.

As far as I've ever seen, all 66 full size Chevy ignition switches have ACC, OFF, ON and START.

fsc66 04-29-2019 09:18 AM

That is correct, they have 4 positions

Paul

lndbarron 05-12-2019 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone for responses, I have changed a factory correct ignition switch, and the voltage regulator. However the battery still is not maintaining charge. I have checked the battery and all tests are saying it is a good battery. When I jump the car there is a clicking in the voltage regulator when I and connecting the jumper cables. I cannot figure out why the battery will not maintain a charge. Any ideas?

marsmann 05-12-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsc66 (Post 223830)
That is correct, they have 4 positions

Paul

Apologies for any confusion. I see it was poorly worded. I am counting positions from left to right from off to crank.

To the original poster, since you have replaced your switch and regulator, have you eliminated the alternator?

lndbarron 05-20-2019 07:29 PM

yes, if i disconnect the positive terminal car stays running. disconnecting the battery maintains a charge

japete92 05-21-2019 01:10 PM

Big Dave 05-21-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lndbarron (Post 224126)
yes, if i disconnect the positive terminal car stays running. disconnecting the battery maintains a charge

You are playing with fire (literally) if you disconnect any positive terminal with the engine running. A fraction of a second contact with any body part gets a big spark followed by old west Indian smoke signals that state ("Kiss your fuseable link good bye").

Any electrical work done on a car should be with the battery disconnected and the ignition switch off (unless you are testing the circuit). You use meters (some are self powered with a nine volt or a 1.2 volt batter). Best tool I have found is this Chinese copy of a KD (which is a Korean copy of a Fluke) tester:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LHLSBB...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Big Dave