Impala Tech

Impala Tech (https://www.impalas.net/forums/)
-   Engine (https://www.impalas.net/forums/11-engine/)
-   -   66 Impala Quadrajet Divirce Choke (https://www.impalas.net/forums/11-engine/38072-66-impala-quadrajet-divirce-choke.html)

impalabrl1 08-09-2019 10:27 PM

66 Impala Quadrajet Divirce Choke

I am installing a new divorce choke spring on a 66 Impala, with a rebuilt 1969 Chevelle Quadrajet. Is it necessary to pretention the spring, another words, wrap the spring so it is tight before inserting the rod? Or do you just place the choke rod into the spring as it is out of the box?

I am having trouble finding a choke rod to fit, and have been told I will probably need to make one, since I am not using a 66 Quadrajet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

wk2hons 08-11-2019 11:12 AM

I would just install a manual choke. Very reliable.

Darth 08-11-2019 11:02 PM

I have the correct 66 Quadrajet on my 427. All I did was put on a choke thermostat (spring) that seemed to be the correct tension and then did the finishing touches to fine tune it by bending the rod from the spring to the choke linkage so it had some tension on the choke flap.

The choke pulloff should open the flap slightly (I am guessing about 1/8") when you start the engine. I think there is an exact spec for how much it should pull open on startup.

After that, just make sure it's wide open (vertical) when fully warmed up.

impalabrl1 08-13-2019 09:14 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I do want to use the divorce choke versus a manual choke, to keep it original.

Darth,
I will give it a try as you suggested. Right now when the car is cold, the choke flap is completely closed, which is causing a hard start. Thanks again.

Brian

marsmann 08-15-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth (Post 225530)
I have the correct 66 Quadrajet on my 427. All I did was put on a choke thermostat (spring) that seemed to be the correct tension and then did the finishing touches to fine tune it by bending the rod from the spring to the choke linkage so it had some tension on the choke flap.

The choke pulloff should open the flap slightly (I am guessing about 1/8") when you start the engine. I think there is an exact spec for how much it should pull open on startup.

After that, just make sure it's wide open (vertical) when fully warmed up.

This ^^^

Just get the right choke/spring for your manifold and carb. They actually do come in various "sizes", for lack of a better word. The rest is just hooking up the rod linkage as stated above.

impalabrl1 08-16-2019 10:01 PM

Thanks Darth.