Impalas.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, to answer the question on how long a stock 54 year old 10 bolt lasts behind 500hp under my right foot…..

727 miles.

So I’m leaning heavily toward replacing the entire rear axle. Debating between 12 bolt and 9 inch setup.

Is there a difference in length between 10 bolt and 12 bolt driveshafts on the 65-70 cars?
Just had a new shaft built and if the length is the same, I’d probably go the 12 bolt route.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
No difference in Driveshaft Length.

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No difference in Driveshaft Length.
Boom! Thanks BillT! 12 bolt it is!

Looks like I’ll be calling Moser and UMI Monday morning…..

Now if I can just get the Academy Sports in Terra Haute to get one of those new Yildiz O/U shotguns in stock, I’ll have 2 reasons to make an Indiana road trip.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Didn't want to push the 12 bolt since you were asking about the drive shaft. I have the Moser 12 bolt with Torino end bearings. Very happy with it and no trouble after about 3000 miles. Bolted right in. Since I ordered the aluminum girdle cover, there was a minor clearance issue with the after market panhard bar. I had to clearance the (solid) bar some and machine a custom lower mounting shaft that pushed it back about 1/3".

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I bought a T/A girdled cover for the 10 bolt and sent it back because of the panhard interference.

Moser advertises 3-5 days to get one built, I’ll skip powdercoating and drive the 3 hours to pick it up if they can get it done by Friday.

The Torino ends work with stock drums and brake hardware, right?

·
Registered
1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan
11 Posts
Nice carnage pics! Glad the damage was all contained. I'm in for the install pics and tips/tricks, if I ever get a more powerful engine I'll likely want to do this at the same time.

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice carnage pics! Glad the damage was all contained. I'm in for the install pics and tips/tricks, if I ever get a more powerful engine I'll likely want to do this at the same time.
Tip #1- have a big pocketbook.

Just called Moser, and they’re going to build me a 12 bolt with 33 spline bolt-in axles and an Eaton posi. Went with a 3.55 gear because TH350, no overdrive.

Buy once, cry once. Weeping to the tune of $3k today. Should be done end of next week.

All 4 UMI control arms should be here Friday.

Then I get to wrench, and drive gingerly for 500 miles.

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the UMI control arms for a while...Was never happy with the lower control arms because they don't articulate very well with poly bushings.
I was going to Global West but they’re weren’t in stock at Summit or Jegs.

Maybe over the winter.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I was going to Global West but they’re weren’t in stock at Summit or Jegs.

Maybe over the winter.
Yeah...they're never in a hurry over at Global West but his stuff is US made and well engineered. Unless you've got a discount code for the catalog houses, I'd just order direct since they drop ship anyway.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts

I have a 9” myself. I’d also recommend Global West as well. I’m using their entire suspension package and it’s very nice. You’re probably going to need a new drive shaft,

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
View attachment 30008
I have a 9” myself. I’d also recommend Global West as well. I’m using their entire suspension package and it’s very nice. You’re probably going to need a new drive shaft,
Very nice! I thought about the 9” but didn’t like the smaller pinion shaft and guaranteed need for a new driveshaft since I just bought one. I did like the ease of swapping gears and additional pinion support, and especially the bolt in axles. (Ordered my 12 bolt with bolt-ins).

Internet consensus (and Moser tech) is:
8.2 to 12 bolt requires no driveshaft mod, 8.5 to 12 bolt requires a different length driveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
3,485 Posts
Great pictures and a great upgrade in you plan.

I also busted my stock 10 bolt with a 383 and a Muncie trans. It was during a massive burnout, I snapped the weak spot welds of the axle tube to the center section. Made the rear-end sit crooked, lol. Upgraded to a posi unit and 12bolt like you are doing.

On to the next weak link!

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pro tip- when dealing with 54 year old bushings and sleeves, buy the good sawzall blades…..

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s in, but the driveshaft is about an inch too long… possibly because of the 1350 yoke. No Sunday cruising, I’ll wrap up the small stuff, clean the shop, and drop the driveshaft off Monday to be shortened.

Decided to add 10 bolt remnants to the “Corner of Shame”

·
Registered
67 Caprice
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So I had an epiphany after reading over and over that there’s no difference between 10 and 12 bolt driveshafts…

My custom driveshaft was too long, but I had the stock one in the corner. Threw a conversion u-joint at it to mate it to the 1350 pinion yoke and the stocker slid right into place with about 5/8 slip. Turns out the custom shaft has a slight longer barrel and it’s not going in all the way to the hilt on the yoke..

Time to bleed the brakes and take it for a slow ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts