Impalas.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been asked before but I'm wondering the largest front tire size i can run on 15x8 Corvette rallies on the '64 Impala I just bought. I just picked up the rallies for a sweet deal this week. I know Corvettes had 225/70/15s and I've found a set of 235/70/15s locally for a decent price. Ideally, though, I'd really like to be able to run some 255/60/15s but are they too tall/wide for the front?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome

Big Dave, thanks for the welcome. I'm excited about this car. I've been watching it for 15 years when my dad and I first tried to buy it. It was my great grandmother's who willed it to my grandmother. Her and my grandfather parked it in 1988. I briefly had it running for them in 2000 but they had high hopes of slapping some paint on it and making a lot more money in CA. That never came to be and she finally agreed to sell it to me. 2 door hard top, 300 hp 327, Powerglide auto, manual everything, no A/C.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have 2257015 on 7 inch rallys on my 64 all the way around. The front can go bigger but the back was a pain to install.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me Bob. There is more room in the rear of the car for bigger wheels. Where where you rubbing and why?

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
So are they hitting on the top of the wheel arch or are they hitting at the front of the wheel well by the rear door sill?

Big Dave

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found out the trick to installing 8's in the back is a bottle jack on the frame right near the back bumper (directly behind the tire). Couple blocks of wood under the jack. The tires I have, 15x8, barely squeeze in there when you create enough flex between the frame and axle. I have 15x7's on the front.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know this has probably been asked before but I'm wondering the largest front tire size i can run on 15x8 Corvette rallies on the '64 Impala I just bought. I just picked up the rallies for a sweet deal this week. I know Corvettes had 225/70/15s and I've found a set of 235/70/15s locally for a decent price. Ideally, though, I'd really like to be able to run some 255/60/15s but are they too tall/wide for the front?

When I changed wheels on my '63, I switched from p225/70/14's to p215/70/15's. I went 'narrower' on the tires because I was totally uninterested in the performance 'wider' tires offered. The 'narrower' tires cost less, weigh less, and have less rolling resistance. By staying closer to original spec tires I minimized some potential issues such as speedo calibration and front alignment problems. Also, when I do decide to 'get on' her, the tires will brake loose prior to the rear end or transmission parts.

In my opinion, my car looks fine with the tires I chose.

It's your car; make it look/drive the way you want it to. I simply want to point out an alternative and to suggest you avoid any unintended consequences when going with contemporary 'wide' tires; even if they 'fit'.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't logged in in a good long while. Just an update, I mounted 225/60/15 Cooper CS5's on Corvette 15"x8" rally wheels and they look great. No interference issues I could spot turning the wheels lock-to-lock in the garage. Almost wish I'd ordered the 255's I'd been debating on, though. Think they'd have fit just as well. Not road-worthy yet so I don't know if any issues will arise once it's on the road. I just did a front disc brake swap and need to replace the rear driveline u-joint and I'll hook it up and see if it drives.

I will say that the tire gets awfully close to the front bottom corner of the fender. Has anybody with really oversized tires had issues with tires contacting fenders? As far as stuffing them in the rear fenders, I had to jack the car up by the frame until the rear suspension was at full droop and then you could slide the top of the tire over the drum and it would drop in place. Not too bad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was wondering the same thing as my rear is just a little closer to one side as the other . I think some guys run an adjustable track bar to help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts