Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to upgrade from archaic drums to disc brakes on a four door 1967 hardtop. I'll need 15" wheels to safely clear the new brakes and was not planning on buying my endgame wheels until later in the restoration project, so have been looking for an economical but still operable set of 15" wheels to hold me over for a while. Not knowing anything about proper wheel/tire size, I have to ask, are the wheels from this listing going to be far too small for safe temporary operation of a car this big?

http://bham.craigslist.org/pts/2134952819.html

Thank you in advance for any information, advice, and assistance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It will look a little awkward (especially in the back), but it will work.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
A 195 is the equivalent of a 6.50 inch bias ply tire. The stock tire was a 7.20 inch bias ply and the 6.50 was an economy option offered to save a few bucks; as was a larger 7.75 bias ply tire for better performance when ordering the car off the RPO sheet. It will fit. The question is does it have the load rating to handle a heavier car (four ply vs two ply in the old days before radials and metric sizing.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
Find a used set of mid size GM 78-87 wheels. Monte carlo, Cutlass, Regal and even S-10 truck . These vehicles all had disc brakes and the right 4 3/4 bolt pattern wheels.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The wheels in question actually are S10 wheels, somebody just decided to install dinky tires on them. Originally they would have had 205/75/15's mounted on them.

·
Super Moderator
2,915 Posts
I like the wheels but the tires are to small. I would look for some taller tires with wheels. Do you have a wrecking yard near you? Most times that is a good place to buy wheels and tires at reasonable prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts