Impalas.net banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Mark, Are you still using Acrylic Lacquer?

I love spraying lacquers..Getting close to shooting my 61 but am going to try out
the single stage enamel. Never used it before...

Thanks,

Hammerit-
yes we are.. we got a new shipment from TCPglobal. It was custom matched to what we had, and it's actually closer to the REAL shade of cay coral than the dupont we have, but we're only going to use it as a bottom coat to stretch our supplies, and finish it off with the dupont since the removeable body panels have already been painted.

The white on the roof is easy to work with as long as we get enough coats on it. the metallics are proving to be much trickier, but we'll get it.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
ok new update.. no pics, but I'll have some friday.

we put 4 more coats of white on the roof, giving us 6 total. the body has 4 coats of the TCP paint on it, and it's ready for two coats of our dupont topcoat, which is what the doors, front fenders, trucklid, and hood are painted with.

Friday we are going to paint the belt on the back of the roof coral, we had to wait on the white part of the roof to be finished first, and plus we are dealing with the texas heat, and only being able to work a limited amount every time I go over to my dad's house

more on friday!

Discussion starter · #24 · (Edited)
ok new update..

today we taped off that small area at the back of the roof to get it ready to paint.. it took a while to get it taped right, because there's only a lip about a 1/8th inch wide to put the tape on before the roof turns into the roof belt.

So we got that sprayed, painted the fender skirts, and did some spraying in the trunk.
The next time we paint, we'll be putting on the topcoats!!!! we hope to be done painting by the end of july.

I believe that that is one beautifull car. You and your dad are doing a great job. It will be worth a lot when you are completed but all that is secondary to your dad having a great son. What you are doing for your father is much nicer than what you are doing foir the car. I believe you are a gift rom God to him. Keep up the good work.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
today we sprayed the dash.... We had it painted at one time, but some rust formed, so we had to strip half of it, treat the rust, and start over. we painted the entire dash today with 4 coats, put 4 more coats on the steering wheel, and touched up one spot on an interior trim piece that was a little thin. The good news is after all of that we STILL had a little paint left over. About 6 oz, already thinned. Does anybody know what the shelf life is for thinned paint?

We also prepped the body for first coat of dupont. It's sanded down with 400 straight as a whistle. We're going to paint one coat on Saturday morning, let it dry, and then prep the body for the final coat. These last two coats we're really obsessing about how perfect the body is before we put on any paint. I can go over the entire body with dry 400 and not see any ridges or anything that resembles uneven spots, so I'm confident we're ready to go. Normally we wouldn paint two coats in one day, but as important as that top coat is going to be,I dont want to rush the prep job for it, or spray when it's too hot outside.

Still hoping to done painting by the end of the month, and then we're going to put the gas tank, fuel lines, and engine in the car

Discussion starter · #28 ·
OK, good day today... mostly..

We have a problem with the air gun that we eventually figured out, and we managed to get the second to top layer of paint (the first layer of dupont lucite) on the car. We sprayed two topcoats on the belt so we could remove the tape, and for fun put the dummy roof vent in place for a photo op.

We're pretty tired (it's almost 100 here today) and we have a lot of clean up to do before we're ready for the final coat, but things are going pretty good.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
today I colorsanded and compounded the tops and a little of the sides of the quarter panels we sprayed last week. My dad worked on wireing under the dash. Next time I go over we're going to roll the car outside, lay the trunklid in place, and see how close the paint we just sprayed matches the paint that was sprayed years ago. If it's not close, we're probably going to buy 2 more gallons of paint (at $650 a gallon) and respray everything. It's the only way to get it right, but we're hoping the paint comes close to matching. really really close is good enough for my dad. Not that close... is understandibly NOT. It wont be like starting over, but it will set us back a couple of months.
we'll know more next saturday!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
ok good day today... mostly.
For the most part, the paint my dad and I sprayed is a perfect match to the paint that was painted years ago by a "professional" Here's the problem. One side of the trunk matches the rear quarter panel perfectly, but the other side doesn't. It's like the "pro" didn't get enough paint on the driver's side, so it worries me to do the colorsanding to brng out the shine.. I dont think the paint is thick enough
The good news is because we dont ahve to do as much blending as I thought we might, we have enough paint so we can afford the use more on that half of the trunk
We're so frustrated wth the quality of the "pros" work. After looking at it, it's MUCH worse than what my dad and I have been doing. it looks like he didn't do any colorsanding, he just hit some parts with a buffer, and we need to respray the edges of one door because he has primer showing through on three of the four edges. I had to take a fender we thought was all ready to put on the car outsdide and colorsand and buff it, to see if there was enough paint on it before we hit primer. We have no idea how many coats of paint are on it.. we paid for 3, but from the way the door looks, we didn't get what we paid for.

anyway, here's the pics from today, It was nice getting the car outside
you can see here the difference betwen the drivers side and the passenger side of the trunk..

by the way, in this pic... the back 75% of the quarter panel has NOT been buffed, just sanded.. we only buffed next to where the door would go to check the match..

Discussion starter · #33 ·
just an update....

we didn't have enough paint to finish the car, because it turns out the body panels that were painted by the "pro" we painted so thin you couldn't polish them without hitting primer.

We we had TCP match the paint we were working with, but it is a little darker, so we ordered 3 more gallons and started the car over again. It's totally painted now, so now I'm starting the buffing and compounding stage. So far it looks great, the paint is less pink than the former shade, which I like,and it looks like we will have a full gallon left for future uses, which I LOVE

I'll post some new pics when I get more of it buffed out, we've also been doing some work on the dash, it's coming along just fine

Looking good, you guys are sure putting a lot of effort into that and i'm sure it will show in the end. (+ the bonus of doing something with your dad)

Thanks for the update!

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I went to my Dad's house today, and started sanding and compounding the paint I sprayed last weekend... so far... it's good. I had to respray a couple of sections until I got a hang of how much to sand, but here's the progress so far. I think you can tell it's a different color than the last batch, which is why we had to repaint the entire car.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Did some compounding today... Dad's been at the hospital for a couple of wees, but he should be strong wnough to come home by the 14th... in the meantime I'm just plodding along, trying to finish up the painting part of the project so we can move on to getting engine and fuel system back in

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.