Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently restored my 1959 348 impala and have noticed an intermittent engine cut off problem. The engine either at idle, or at a steady speed, whether hold or cold, and intermittently at no specific time or circumstance, will suddenly cut off, like someone is turning off the ignition switch. If you then re start the car it will start immediately and run fine again like it never happened. Again this happens whether at idle, or at a steady speed and whether the engine is hot or cold. Aside from this issue the car runs beautifully, idles perfectly and has no other issues. All the fuel lines have been replaced from the tank forward, the car has new points, condenser, cap, wires, new plugs...new carbs (tripower) which were all rebuilt with new linkage, new ignition switch. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this can be and how to remedy it? :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds electrical to me. First thing I would check is your grounds. Check all the battery main ground, and + wires. Also, trace the ignition circuit and see if all connections are as they should be. Also check power to the coil...
-Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we think it is electrical......the ground from the battery is fine, the postive side is fine...other than the cut off/screw off terminal connector which has been known to be an issue, we just saw that a mechanic that worked on my car ran a wire from the old sun tach sending unit I have to my coil.....do you think that could be the issue? We believe the ignition wiring also is ok....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hmmm... Check the bulkhead connector in the engine compartment just behind the fuse panel. Often, this becomes corroded and causes issues. I would disconnect and clean really well. (Make sure to disconnect the battery while doing this.) Once that is done, if no change, I would check and double check all alternator connections, and make sure the connection from it to the battery is good, as well as connections at the horn relay from alternator....

-Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts