Impalas.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Working on a '60 with my son. Car came with an aftermarket full floor pan. We cut some of the original out with a plasma cutter but are not sure how to cut the pan where it rests on top of the rocker panels. I"m guessing a cut off wheel and try not to get into the rocker. Not sure if the two are actually fused/attached. Any suggestions?

We are replacing the toe boards and bought new ones from Classic 2 Current. We also need to replace the pan that is under the rear seat and we cut one out of a doner car but it is not perfect.

Also, any other tips on replacing the pan and these other sections would be great. We've never replaced a floor pan before, so all of it is new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the complete floor pan with braces for my 1962 Impala. I wrestled with it for about a month. Could not get it to go in. I finally cut the bottoms off of the rear inner fenders and slid it in from the back. It slid in and fell right into its place. Then just spot welds. Easy at that point. Welded the bottoms of the rear inner fenders back into place and it was done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have done a full floor on a 55 and a 66, and they were completely different, so I'm not sure where a 60 fits in the picture. The 55 was much simpler, and included the rear seat platform, where the 66 did not. From the sounds of things, your 60 doesn't include it either. There seemed to be many layers of pans overlapping in the 66, so I cut it out close with a cutoff wheel and trimmed the new pan to match and did a lap joint with plug welds. On the 55, (4 door sedan) I used a spot weld cutter and plug welded to the new floor. If need be, use some self tapping sheet metal screws to hold it in place before you start welding. I couldn't get toe boards for the 66, but they were available for the 55. More of the same, cut out what you need and use a lap joint or a butt joint to reattach.
If you're using a full floor with braces, you'll need to lift the body off the frame to slide it in. I'm not really sure how the body mounts will line up on a 60, as both I did were completely different.
Good luck, think it through, and be sure of yourself before you do anything permanent!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts