Impalas.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would I have to do to convert my 1960 190hp Impala engine into the 245 corvette duel quad engine trying to keep it a period correct as much as possible, is the cam the same?

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
The specs will all be out there on the Vette sites, but it will be heads, lifters (solid) cam, intake, carb, distributor.

If it were mine, I'd simply do a nice 350 (or 383) , dressed to look old, with a dual carb intake. You can easily make it look stock, have much more than vette power, and be much more driveable.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
A good thread, and check out the pics on post #10:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Depending on how far you want to follow your obsession of keeping it stock looking, getting a 350 block to look exactly like the earlier 283 and 327 blocks is a bit problematic. The stamp pad is noticeably different. The PCV system is different. The 283/327 block has a whole for the draft tube/vent system just behind the intake manifold. Whereas the 350 block will have that eliminated in the casting and uses those valve covers with the (leaky) holes in them for the PCV system. Also the harmonic dampener is larger on the 350, which might require carving a chunk out of the power steering pump bracket for clearance.
I went down this path with my 64, in which I had put a 350 based 383 in back in the 80's. When I did my restoration in 2012-13, I started out trying to make the 350 based 383 look like a stock 327, but ultimately went with a date correct 327 block, heads, intake and carb.

The 350 based 383. You can see the PCV hoses on the valve covers and the large stamp pad.

I got this far with it before I decided that the stamp pad and dampener stood out too much as non-original. I was also concerned that my hooky vent tube might not work well enough.

To a casual observer, it might look original, but would not hold up to a close examination.

So I put that aside and had a date correct 327 block bored and stroked to a 383. The trick part is the difference in journal size between the 350 block (large journal) and the 327 block (small journal). Most 383 stroker cranks are large journal. The solution is to put 350 main caps on and have it line bored to match, making it a large journal block.

I used a forged stroker crank.

Roller lifters (no cam break-in worries)

The end result is a perfectly stock looking 327-300 that is actually a 383 making 370hp and more importantly, 420 torque.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 60 is a 283 so kind of what I wanted to do is as if a guy back I say 1960ish loved the corvette and swapped the engine with a vette. I want to try to use my original block it’s a glide also. Car is Emine white with a Turquoise interior, I want to paint the molding on the side and original 14” wheels to match the interior.
BA1FAD31-CEA3-42FB-8563-E548D0BB9967.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on how far you want to follow your obsession of keeping it stock looking, getting a 350 block to look exactly like the earlier 283 and 327 blocks is a bit problematic. The stamp pad is noticeably different. The PCV system is different. The 283/327 block has a whole for the draft tube/vent system just behind the intake manifold. Whereas the 350 block will have that eliminated in the casting and uses those valve covers with the (leaky) holes in them for the PCV system. Also the harmonic dampener is larger on the 350, which might require carving a chunk out of the power steering pump bracket for clearance.
I went down this path with my 64, in which I had put a 350 based 383 in back in the 80's. When I did my restoration in 2012-13, I started out trying to make the 350 based 383 look like a stock 327, but ultimately went with a date correct 327 block, heads, intake and carb.

The 350 based 383. You can see the PCV hoses on the valve covers and the large stamp pad.
View attachment 29854

I got this far with it before I decided that the stamp pad and dampener stood out too much as non-original. I was also concerned that my hooky vent tube might not work well enough.
View attachment 29856

To a casual observer, it might look original, but would not hold up to a close examination.
View attachment 29855

So I put that aside and had a date correct 327 block bored and stroked to a 383. The trick part is the difference in journal size between the 350 block (large journal) and the 327 block (small journal). Most 383 stroker cranks are large journal. The solution is to put 350 main caps on and have it line bored to match, making it a large journal block.
View attachment 29857

I used a forged stroker crank.
View attachment 29859

Roller lifters (no cam break-in worries)
View attachment 29858

The end result is a perfectly stock looking 327-300 that is actually a 383 making 370hp and more importantly, 420 torque.
View attachment 29861
You did a great job on that looks original with awesome HP I like it, a lot of planing went into it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Beautiful car! The '60 Impala is one of my favorite years. You have the same color scheme as my 64, Ermine white and Turquoise interior. If you are only after the look, and not so much the power, then it should not be that hard to do. Just remember, all things related to Corvettes are bigger $$$$ than Chevy, even when they are the same part o_O So shop carefully. I would guess a genuine intake manifold would be pretty expensive.
Are you intending to rebuild the 283 as part of the process?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, rebuild, just don’t want the engine to be too radical, I like the the fact that it’s the original block

1 - 13 of 13 Posts