Impalas.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... I am in the restoration planning stages for a 1961 Impala bubble top. I am thinking of putting an air ride/lowering suspension on it but I have no clue where to start looking for parts/kits and what all is involved. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, what would it cost to do this? The attached picture shows the look that I am trying to get. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Well it won't be the cheapest form of suspension. Because you are going to replace the springs with air bags you will be making or buying all new suspension components. Because of the extreme range of the suspension travel it has to be very flexible to keep the tires pointing in the direction you wish to go. There is also the issue of sensors and control units to keep the car at the desired ride height while driving. You will also need enough electrical power to pick up the car at will (have enough wattage to power the air compressor). There are several companies that will provide you with the individual components up to a complete kit with A-arms and trailing links as well as all of the air ride parts.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
everything dave said. :nod:

I'd also add that you can pick up the parts individually as well, and an upgrade to a more current (no pun intended) alternator would suffice in that area. eg, any of the 90amp ones GM has made for 10 yrs +.

My buddy did his all on his own and he's just an average guy with a positive can-do attitude. WARNING: this is the 4MB picture.
h t t p://www.media-swap.com/Cars/2009%20Hot%20Rod%20Power%20Tour%20-%20Dayton/slides/DSCF5035_jpg_orig.html

He uses two tanks to hold more air.....something to think about.
His normal ride height is simply "all aired up".........all aired out puts him about an inch or so above the ground. They make ride height sensors, but if you can't afford their extra cost,....you can plan around it with thoughtful installation and close attention to your rubber suspension stops. Easy Peezy! :)

Oh one other note,....using 1/2" line makes the car POP up and POP down,...like Right Now. Standard 1/4" line takes a couple of seconds to raise/lower the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
oh, www.ridetech.com is one of the leading companies in that industry, although I'm sure there are others....these guys practice what they preach. They attend our autocross and roadcourse events using multiple cars. 66 Chevelle, 70/71 GSX Clone, 67/68 Camaro. Their stuff does perform well but you can expect to pay more than doing it yourself.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Your looking a close to $1000 for a basic set up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get a Lowrider magazine then you can get a good estimate. Defiantly bag it no hydros.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Air Ride

Just completed a full FBSS Ride tech install system on my 61 bubbletop the ride is the best (beats coils any day) Did the cool Ride W/ Ride Pro e 2 without the level Pro (but will be added next $600.00 extra) Simple if you can read and follow directions took me about 1 1/2 days to install and complete My advice would be not to buy cheap stuff,Did that on a bagged 53 chevy, that I done, never again will I throw money away on crappy parts .You can as they say "donk it" , standard ride height or lay it out with no harm at all to the susp.For what many don't want to hear ,like me, is the price $2500.00 with free remotes and worth every penny if you are serious about air ride

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey billtbowil..... Do you have any pictures of the car so I can see how it sits? Also, did you use the standard 1/4" lines or 1/2" lines? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
billybobwil... Were you able to use your stock suspension parts with the Ride W/ Ride Pro e 2 kit or did you have to buy addition parts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Air Ride

Just completed a full FBSS Ride tech install system on my 61 bubbletop the ride is the best (beats coils any day) Did the cool Ride W/ Ride Pro e 2 without the level Pro (but will be added next $600.00 extra) Simple if you can read and follow directions took me about 1 1/2 days to install and complete My advice would be not to buy cheap stuff,Did that on a bagged 53 chevy, that I done, never again will I throw money away on crappy parts .You can as they say "donk it" , standard ride height or lay it out with no harm at all to the susp.For what many don't want to hear ,like me, is the price $2500.00 with free remotes and worth every penny if you are serious about air ride
Hey there I'm doing the same thing on my 61 bubble top and I'm curious what you had to replace in regards to all the parts. I got an estimate for 12 K with parts and labor. I was told the kit would cost close to 5K with new shocks, control arms etc. I cannot do this myself but does that seem reasonable in your opinion?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts