Impalas.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Yall,
Anyone got any tips/tricks/links/info on freeing up stuck side & rear quarter window regulators for our cars?
Both my vent windows turn/open. My driver's side glass works but needs lube/maybe new bushings, its choppy on the way down.
My passenger side and both rear quarter glass are frozen completely still in the up position (assuming rust).
I didn't want to just start throwing heat/rust penetrant at the regulators without maybe some pointers.
Also, is lithium grease the correct lube for the bushings?
It has been 20 years since I have worked on old school car and the memory is fading for this fat boy lol!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice car. I would start by taking out the Door Panels and Rear Quarter Panels, lubricate with penetrating oil then gently put some pressure on the cranking the regulators. They also could be stuck in the channels and may need a little help by carefully prying on them.

Also White Grease may be the best choice for permanent lubrication.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: cintocrunch

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice car. I would start by taking out the Door Panels and Rear Quarter Panels, lubricate with penetrating oil then gently put some pressure on the cranking the regulators. They also could be stuck in the channels and may need a little help by carefully prying on them.

Also White Grease may be the best choice for permanent lubrication.

Keep us posted on your progress.
I have similar issues but the previous owner put new door seals in that are the wrong type and keep coming out of the channel, causing the window to bind on the rubber.
My car has no interior/panels/trim so I can see innerworkings. Also, my car has zero rubber/seals/scrapers/felts, so thats not an issue either.
Anyone got some pics on where to hit rust penetrant/heat that would help me a lot.
And progress is coming for sure. Wish there was a build thread on here.
Thanks gents!

· Registered
1,590 Posts
Anywhere where there is a pivot as well as the plastic rollers in the any of the tracks. If necessary, take apart, test and well lubricate the regulator and related parts.

· Registered
1,590 Posts
For sure, but with them not moving I didn't think I could get the glass out.
If you spray everything down (Kroil is the best, but pricey) and work the regulator back and forth, you should be able to get it moving somewhat. If not for some reason, take apart what you can. Not really necessary to take the glass out but may be best to, if needed.

· Registered
240 Posts
Only thing I can add to what's been said is that I had a regulator with a couple of broken teeth in the fully up position. I recently replaced it but while I was putting up with it the only way to get the window to wind down was to get the teeth to engage by opening the door fully & grabbing the window glass firmly on both sides then wriggling it from side to side while simultaneously applying a downward pressure, it would move slightly & then I could use the winder while still applying a downward pressure to the glass.

Likely you'll need to also apply grease to where the teeth feed through into the winder, so get as much of the old out as you can & press as much new in as you can, once you get the window moving keep trying to add more grease until you cant. The tracks will all need the old grease cleaned out including the one track that's hard to see because it's horizontal and attached to the inside door panel about halfway up. Lithium grease is very good but not in a spray can it's far too light, the thicker the better, especially in the vertical tracks.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only thing I can add to what's been said is that I had a regulator with a couple of broken teeth in the fully up position. I recently replaced it but while I was putting up with it the only way to get the window to wind down was to get the teeth to engage by opening the door fully & grabbing the window glass firmly on both sides then wriggling it from side to side while simultaneously applying a downward pressure, it would move slightly & then I could use the winder while still applying a downward pressure to the glass.

Likely you'll need to also apply grease to where the teeth feed through into the winder, so get as much of the old out as you can & press as much new in as you can, once you get the window moving keep trying to add more grease until you cant. The tracks will all need the old grease cleaned out including the one track that's hard to see because it's horizontal and attached to the inside door panel about halfway up. Lithium grease is very good but not in a spray can it's far too light, the thicker the better, especially in the vertical tracks.
10-4, thanks for the input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts