Impalas.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a 1962 Impala SS convertible for over 10 years now and I am a real stickler for originality right down to the Original bolts, nuts, and clips. I have several questions that maybe someone can answer. Concerning the rocker panel moldings, the 1962 reproduction clips contain just press in clips but I have a very original 1962 impala 4 door sedan that I am using for reference. It uses the 1961 style oval bolt on clips at the front and rear attaching holes. It uses the push in clips at the center locations. The 1961 style clips on the 4 door look very original with plenty of rust and the studs broke off when I tried to take them off which you would expect with an original part after 58 years. My question is which clips are correct? It looks like I have to order 1961 repop clips and 1962 repop clips to get the correct parts. And on the hockey stick molding attaching nuts the very original 1962 4 door sedan uses small metal nuts that still have original spatter paint on them but I saw an original NOS hockey in the black and yellow packaging that uses plastic nuts similar to the side molding plastic nuts only smaller. Which nuts are the correct ones used during production? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
The original parts were identified in the assembly manual. It also included the GM name for the part, part number, and the torque value for any fasteners. This is a great source of information for a repair technician working on the car within seven years of the car's production date. After that time GM was no longer required by federal law to carry replacement parts. So unless that part was used on a newer vehicle, it was dropped from the parts inventory and is no longer produced, or was superceded by a plastic part, or a PAL nut, or adhesive, or some cheaper way of attaching the trim.

So a NOS replacement part for a GM vehicle could well differ from what was used in 1962 and you will have to turn a new nut from hex stock on your engine lathe the way Jay Leno's crew maintains his old cars to his exacting Pebble Beach Concours restoration quality.

Big Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did reference the 1962 assembly manual and it does show the 61 style clips used at the front and rear of the rocker panel molding. Hopefully soon the reproduction companies will correct their 1962 impala rocker panel molding clip sets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts