Impalas.net banner

1964 Imp ss with aluminum hood

3K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  BigDogSS 
well, AFAIK, they haven't stopped "giving out" build sheets. for the last several years people have been able to pay $50 and buy them. you may want to doublecheck on that

as for an aluminum hood, assuming it is original, it may have been a special COPO order for racing. you'd need to verify that with some of our more knowledgeable members like @BA. and @62BillT

as for the 63 vs 64 hood, they are notated in the Hollander cross-reference as completely different, so unless they swapped fenders, bumpers, and everything else that would have been needed to be swapped....conclusion is... it's either COPO, a 'one-off' as you suggested, or an aftermarket

so I don't see how a long gone '63 owners manual will help us out here

I was curious on the magnet verification as well, but wow, if it's really aluminum that would seem to be a pretty rare piece.

Unfortunately that ones' a little bit before my time and I just don't know much of the history on those or those lightweight Z11's. Where's Dyno Don and Grumpy Jenkins when you need them? :)
well, we got Big Dave somewhere (y)

where would i find the correct rivets? When I was first starting this project i was not planning on making this a factory correct resto or anything just wanted to make it a nice everyday driver maybe like a resto mod with the ls engine and also i had no information that it might be a rare vehicle other than being a 64 ss
off the top of my head I couldn't tell you where to get the rivets but I am surprised as hell that the shop doing the resto took it off. they should have known better. as you may already know they are a special rivet, and the few places that sell them know that some people like to buy them for the criminal purpose of passing a plain jane non-original off as a rare expensive find

@62BillT or @BA. or one of our other members might know where to get the right ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.