Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My father's '64 Impala is currently being restored and we might need some help. According to my father his car once had some kind of metal plate (chrome?) under the tail pan, attached to the body. I've never seen it on the car, it's been missing for many years. When the rear bumper is installed, this is hardly visible but my father is convinced that something is missing. I'm not so sure about it. I imagine it could just be painted and no extra plate is needed. I attached a picture to show you what I mean. Anyone can help? Thanks!

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
1,590 Posts
On the '64 Rear Bumper, there is a Main Brace that goes across about the whole length of the cross bar on the frame. Then there are the 4 Corner Brackets. Then the 3 Chrome Bumper pieces themselves, all assembled on the floor before being installed on the car. Then there is the Aluminum License Plate Backing Panel that attaches to the center of it.

Reactions: 65_&_67_Impala

· Registered
1,622 Posts
That white Impala looks familiar.... ;D
Your arrow is pointing at the petrified remains of the rubber strip that goes between the body and bumper. Just like Scott shows in his photo. Mine needed replacing as it was brittle and cracked with age. I have had my 64 since 82, so I am fairly confident this is original.

A little closer shot of the rubber strip

Wasp nest under the rubber strip.

Back side of rear bumper, showing metal brackets behind the chrome bumper.

Almost finished restoration before the rubber strip was installed.

Finished restoration with rubber strip installed. As I recall, the reproduction part I got needed to have the notches cut on each end. Same as shown in Scott's photo.

Not very clear, but you can see the rear bumper on my 64 circa mid-late 80's. Those cragers and blackwalls made a pretty good look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts